Hi - Brent here. I am running Windows XP Prof. I have a partitioned hard disk with two partitions c and f. I am running out of space in "c" and am having difficulty doing a defrag.
I am getting messages appearing at bottom right hand side by clock advising me of this limited "c" space.
Partition "c" has 509mb free while "f" has 62.7gb.

How can I move say 10gb from "f" to "c"?

Cheers

Brent

Contributors
Replies
Views
9 Years
Discussion Span
Last Post by gerbil

Copy and paste anything that you have saved in C as yours, usually in C:\Document and Settings\<UserNameHere>, to F:\>.
You can transfer My Documents to F:\
But you can not transfer anything belonging to the operating system or applications installed already. You can un-install programs and install it again in the F:\ partition, to free some more space.
There's also bootup programs like Partition Magic, or Acronis Disk Director Suite that will allow you to resize your partitions in a non-destructive way.

Doing that is messy.... it involves the partitioning pgm moving a lot of files from the beginning of the F: partition to 10GB further back.
That happens slowly. And seems to be a bit error prone. Another way is to shrink F:, make a third partition and copy all F: contents into it. Then you can easily, and more safely, move the boundary between C: and F:.
Then copy back to F: the files you want in there. That procedure will be more difficult if you have applications in F:, but still possible - you would have to rebuild the original F: directory structure.
Well, that is the way I would do it, if free space in F: permitted that. Even borrow a hdd as a temp F: file store...
Software to use is the GParted 3.7.7 Live CD, or Parted-Magic 3.
There is a catch.. Windows knows where it lives, there is a reg key devoted to that, and I have forgotten which one it is... [find it and delete its value, so XP will be forced to create a new value when it is started after the move]. But I have done what you are attempting with no problems [did it as I describe above, with GParted] and because I did not change the drive letters Windows did not complain.
I'm too lazy to check, but I seem to remember the key contains info about drive size and the surrounding drive letters.

download and run Acronis Disk Director Suite, increase the size of c: and you will have no problems but make a restore point before you start changing drive sizes.

download and run Acronis Disk Director Suite, increase the size of c: and you will have no problems but make a restore point before you start changing drive sizes.

Hi Bob - ty - I c in Aconis site there is a free download trial. Will this allow me t o do business or will I have to purchase software.
Brent

Brent, the trial sware is severely limited in function. Please say how you get on with the trial. I'd just like to know.

Downloaded trial - looks quite simple - but u have to purchase software to effect changes. Trial is just that - just shows u how it works.

Yeh it is limited - is only an example of what will happen and what u can do if u PURCHASE the s/w @$49.99 usd

Bob - at top of this thread is a link to www.partition-tool.com. This is software free to home users produced by a company named "Easeus". Any knowledge of them - bit sceptical in using it. Cheers

Brent

This topic has been dead for over six months. Start a new discussion instead.
Have something to contribute to this discussion? Please be thoughtful, detailed and courteous, and be sure to adhere to our posting rules.