when installing xp professional, all seems to be running smoothly. it formats, it copies the necessary files, but after that it says it needs to restart and setup will continue- but it doesnt. it restarts my computer and starts the process all over again

Recommended Answers

All 12 Replies

Try this

Hope you have bootable win Xp CD,
1.In BIOS for boot sequence give "boot from CD" as first option and disable all other sequence options and save it.
2.Computer will boot from your CD,format if you want and once you give installation comand it will start copying files.
3.From here onwards you don't do any thing simply keep quite.
4.Because after copying files it will go for restart(it will ask press any for restart/time option ,better wait for time option.
5.During restart, booting from CD "press any key to continue" will show .Here also don't press any key.Wait,It will restart on its own and will complete the installation

i tried what u suggested to the letter, but it still didnt work

When you first boot from the cd ... and windows copies necessary files ... it asks for a restart ................ restart but dont boot from the cd then .. boot from the hard drive and the setup will continue to complete windows installation.

I have built a new computer but it will not take windows ep but it will take windows 98 HELP

if all else fails, load 98 and insert ur xp disc and upgrade ur OS

Additional info needed:
1. Are you installing to C:?
2. Are you installing from boot or from inside an OS?
3. Is your CD-R set as your first boot device? If so, try disabling it, or taking out the setup cd before it checks for a CD to boot from. It's possible that your computer keeps detecting a DOS compatable WinXP cd and then initiates the installation all over again.
4. Do you have more than one HDD? Do they have a proper master/slave setup? If you have more than 1, try installing to the other one.

I'm not sure if this is true, but I think your computer checks the master HDD for a hidden system file called 'boot.ini'. If boot.ini is on the HDD that it doesn't check, it may assume that your computer doesn't have anything to boot from, and will try to install XP instead of continuing the installation.

My guess is that your CD-R is set as your primary boot device and your computer keeps detecting the XP CD and running the setup again instead of completing it. Like I said, pop out the CD tray, boot your computer until after it checks for CD-Rs, then push the tray back in for the setup completion

I have built a new computer but it will not take windows ep but it will take windows 98 HELP

I'm guessing you are trying to install from boot. Your XP CD probably doesn't have a DOS compatable setup.exe. If that is the case, you will need to install 98, then install XP while running 98. I advise doing a fresh install instead of upgrading from 98, as upgrading can leave a few odd processes, old drivers, or old registry files. Generally it is better to install fresh unless you are trying to preserve your registry and documents (and do not know how to transfer them to a new install).

Tell me if I helped! :D

I have tried it on a new install and it runs about 47 percent than it starts giving error messages.HELPPPPPPPPP

Write down a list of any error messages you recieve. We can't help you solve a problem when we don't know what is causing it.

It says Windows has an error and will shut down now. IRQL not less or equal,then I have to shut the computer down.

It says Windows has an error and will shut down now. IRQL not less or equal,then I have to shut the computer down.

This is usually caused by some faulty device .. unplug any accessories like modem or lan card and then try installing windows ...

If it doesnt work .. then you should check if your RAM is correctly functioning..

Let us know the exact error code if the thingy stops again. The error code should be like this one .. 0x000000aa where aa is any digit or letter.

The most likely cause is 'cheap and nasty' RAM modules. Windows XP is quite unforgiving of poor quality or mismatched RAM.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.