linuxluva 0 Newbie Poster

the issue is on Windows 2003 server spoolsv.exe does not allow users to print jobs. When users use remote desktop connection it is even worse.

here are some of the symptoms I have found

1. I have restarted the print spooler on the server and the spoolsv.exe goes to 2124 and then quickly goes back up to 11567 immediately. it should be around 2124. This is how i solve the problem now.. but it happens 2-4 times a day! very disturbing!

2. I have removed all the tmp files in \system32\spool\printers (tmp and other old files)
these are all type of files (print jobs that users cancelled etc..

3. I have check the network for printers which have been replaced but the software drivers are still existing on the server (they have been physically removed and the files/drivers have been removed.

4. there is on thing that others have pointed out: there is a printer on your network which the driver was not installed properly. (this might be true and is still up for investigation), however, I cannot believe this is the main cause of the problem.

5. the allocated space for the print spooler is 4.03 MB and it is always causing the print spooler to halt spooling because it is 3.93 mb full (with no files there)

6. there was one answer that involved HP printers, if you replace the "HP Standard TCP/IP Port" with just a "Standard TCP/IP Port" will clear the problem (that did not work for me.. all were standard!

From my research it is a huge problem. i have seen many people inquiring about this same exact issue but never any concrete solutions. (none have worked for me anyway)

if you have experienced this and have a solution or not please let the forum know.
We will greatly appreciate the information.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.