I have recently done a ful reinstall of Windows XP. In the past, when I have been browsing online videos, such as Yahoo video, when I clicked on a link to a video Internet Explorer would ask me if I wanted to download it and where to save it. Now, whenever I click on a video, Windows Media Player opens automatically and the video is downloaded and starts playing, without me being given any option. I have gone through all the IE settings I can think of, and nothing makes any difference.

Can someone please tell me what settings I have to change to stop video files opening automatically, and instead be given the option to save them to a particular location.

I am running Windows XP Pro, SP3, Internet Explorer 6.0.2900.5512.xpsp.080413-2111

Contributors
Replies
Views
8 Years
Discussion Span
Last Post by Sweet_Erika

That is strange that you were able to download streaming videos before. As far as I know, a streaming video is not meant to be downloaded.

I'm not talking about streaming video. I'm talking about video clips which are stored on a server and are publicly available for download. The only way to access these clips is to click on a thumbnail which links to the video file. In the past, clicking on the link resulted in Windows asking me if I wanted to play the file or save it to disk. Now, they just start playing without me being given any options.

This topic has been dead for over six months. Start a new discussion instead.
Have something to contribute to this discussion? Please be thoughtful, detailed and courteous, and be sure to adhere to our posting rules.