I have a Vista HP T4400 that has started having trouble with the system tray network icon - at least. When I boot the machine, the icon for network connections in the system tray shows the globe icon indicating local and internet access and the bubble "Local and Internet access" appears when I hover over it. I can access web and email services. After a few minutes - sometimes longer, the icon loses the global and the text shows "Local Only". However, I can still access the internet on my browser and I still get email. It appears that some things (like syncing with Windows Live) aren't working correctly though.

I have rebooted the router (FIOS-based Verizon service) and have rebooted the machine many times checking individual programs. Repair does not detect and issue. Disabling and re-enabling does not change the status. I have turned off IPv6. Still same issue.

Any ideas?

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

It sounds like a problem with your ISP, call Verizon. Usually I'd talk you through tinkering with the router, but since the router is incorporated into your modem and provided by Verizon for a propriatary service you're better off calling somebody with the manual and a replacement if it's needed. Especially since this could just be a known glitch in their system that they're working on.

Not to get into a debate of the usefulness of Vista here, but it's not even remotely designed for professionals. Most of the trouble to be had with Vista is in trying to do complex configuration that the blinking clock croud would never bother with (why laptops shipped exclusively with vista before desktops). Vista is best for a novice user with no expectations and somebody to fix it for him if something goes wrong.

Did you ever get this resolved? I am having the same issue - the icon keeps changing from local and interent to local only - I seem to still have internet access but it bugs me. Never used to do it..not sure why it is now.
Thanks

I have a Vista HP T4400 that has started having trouble with the system tray network icon - at least. When I boot the machine, the icon for network connections in the system tray shows the globe icon indicating local and internet access and the bubble "Local and Internet access" appears when I hover over it. I can access web and email services. After a few minutes - sometimes longer, the icon loses the global and the text shows "Local Only". However, I can still access the internet on my browser and I still get email. It appears that some things (like syncing with Windows Live) aren't working correctly though.

I have rebooted the router (FIOS-based Verizon service) and have rebooted the machine many times checking individual programs. Repair does not detect and issue. Disabling and re-enabling does not change the status. I have turned off IPv6. Still same issue.

Any ideas?

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.