How can I determine if a computer is a single or dual processor without opening it?

Thanks,

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

AIDA32
AIDA32 is system information and benchmarking tool with full hardware & software information on 80 pages. It comes with a built-in hardware database and physical information for CPU, motherboard, hard disks, optical drives, chipset and much more. It can display the information on-screen, print it, or save it as a report in various formats including HTML, CSV and XML. The built in diagnostics module can help you find potential problems. AIDA32 offers support for ADO/ODBC database connections as well as TCP/IP remote access. Additional features include command-line switches, network audit and audit statistics and network management. An easy to use report wizard allows you to create detailed reports in the format of your choice or save the information to a database. The program is extremely well featured and very nicely done. On top of all, it does not require an install, but runs standalone from its own folder.
http://www.webattack.com/downloadfind.php?st=AIDA32&search=Search&action=s

Isn't there something built into Windows(I am using XP) that can tell me this, without using the software you mentioned?

Thanks.

Right click on My Computer/Manage
Where did you get the comp from anyway because if its a Gateway or if its a Dell or if its a HP(ect)......its not going to be a DUALPROCESSER

How can I determine if a computer is a single or dual processor without opening it?

Thanks,

If it's a Hyper Threading P4, you're going to have one physical processor, but the system will see two logical ones.

If you're running 2k or XP, press control, alt, and delete at the same time, then click on Task Manager. From there, click on the Performance tab. You'll see two sections updating themselves. The bottom one for memory, and if you have two processors, you'll see two graphs there updating. Otherwise, just one.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.