Hey all. I just installed 2000 over 98. Install was almost done and it went to a page about passwords. I just skipped over it as I didn't want to use a password to sign on. The install completed and I rebooted. It then went to a 2000 signon page. I thought to myself that I skipped over that, so I just clicked it without signing on. It just came back to the same page. I then tried to use the singon and password I use for most of my stuff....no help.

I tried going safemode and it goes to the safemode page but then it goes to the signon page again!

Did I mess up by skipping over the signon section during install? What can I do now. I tried to re-install 2000 but it wont work. Help, Im stuck.

Thanks in advance.

Recommended Answers

All 17 Replies

Have you tried simply typing Administrator with no password?

Hello,

Yes, Windows 2000 and XP will want you to login with an account (username and password). It is possible to setup the computer to autologin with a particular account, but that has to be done after you get through this initial setup.

Agree with Alex on Administrator with a blank password.

Thanks guys, I'll try typing administrator.

Thanks guys, I'll try typing administrator.

Remeber, it's case-sensitive- the "A" needs to be upper-case.

;)

I tried it and it took me to a new area this time and I clicked as required as I didn't see anything to fill out. I thought I had it, but it went back to the same screen again. I can't remember if I put the "A" in caps though.

I have heard you can go and download on a floppy a password cracking deal. I may have to try that. Sorry to be a pain guys.

Member Avatar for TKSS

The following content was taken from distrowatch.com:

"What do you do if you need to get into a Microsoft Windows machine, but don't know the password? Simple: use Linux. A small Latvian live CD called AUSTRUMI provides a utility which allows you to change (or blank) any password, including that of the Administrator, on a partition occupied by Windows NT, Windows 2000 or Windows XP. Simply boot the CD and when you get to the initial boot prompt, type:

boot: nt_pass

This will launch a console utility that will detect Windows partitions on the hard disk and provide you with a menu to modify any user or Administrator passwords on the Windows system. It will even give access to the Windows registry for recovery purposes. Quite a handy utility to keep in your wallet (AUSTRUMI is small enough to fit on a business card-size CD) if you are unfortunate enough to having to deal with Windows machines in your line of work.

The latest version of AUSTRUMI is 0.8.4 and you can download it from SourceForge."

Thanks TKS, I'll try it. I think I've tried to reboot with the 2000 CD in the drive and all it does is still go to the sign on page. I will try it again to make sure. BTW, I am having this problem on my laptop, don't know if that makes a difference. I would reformat, but I've done that on a laptop before and its not easy.

I appreciate all the help everyone.

Member Avatar for TKSS

I have a custom built Linux windows password 'assistant' if that one doesn't work. I've tested it on XP Home and Pro...as well as 2000 SP4. Works on all of them. So if that Austrumi doesn't seem to work...give me an email me (tks@tksbox.net) and I'll slap up a download link for you on my homepage.

Cheers,

TKS

I'll do it, thanks again. I know I'll sound like a nitwit but is Linux another OS besides lets say XP, etc?

I'll do it, thanks again. I know I'll sound like a nitwit but is Linux another OS besides lets say XP, etc?

Yes, Linux is an operating system that runs on both PCs and Macs. It has its roots in UNIX, as does the Mach kernel in Apple's Mac OS X

Remeber, it's case-sensitive- the "A" needs to be upper-case.

;)

No, it isn't.

You can't even make a Windows username case-sensitive. Passwords are, however.

No, it isn't.

You can't even make a Windows username case-sensitive. Passwords are, however.

My bad- had my head full of Linux at the time... :mrgreen:

Jetdoc - When you tried typing the Administrator and a blank password, did you just hit enter or click OK after typing Administrator? Or did you actually tab down to the password field with the cursor in that field before hitting OK or enter?

If not try the later as mentioned. You must at least put your cursor in the password textbox before hitting ok to get past the prompt.

Hope this helps

My bad- had my head full of Linux at the time... :mrgreen:

;)

Being case-sensitive can be a pain sometimes...especially when just starting out. :)

Jetdoc - When you tried typing the Administrator and a blank password, did you just hit enter or click OK after typing Administrator? Or did you actually tab down to the password field with the cursor in that field before hitting OK or enter?

If not try the later as mentioned. You must at least put your cursor in the password textbox before hitting ok to get past the prompt.

Hope this helps

You can log in to any machine that has an account with a blank password without clicking the area where the password goes.

I've never encountered such an issue.

Being case-sensitive can be a pain sometimes...especially when just starting out. :)

Actually, I find the case-sensitivity of *NIX systems to be quite a useful feature. Makes it a bit hard to switch gears when you're on 3 different OSes at the same time though... :mrgreen:

Thanks guys, you've helped me a lot.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.