My Windows 2000 just continuously rebbots, can't get it to act any different with any safe mode i start it in. Can't get it to even get me to the setup screen or i would reformat the drive again. HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Recommended Answers

All 16 Replies

try booting to your win2ooo cd and do a repair ,when you get to the prompt ,type in CHKDSK /r
see if it helps fix the problem ,if not post back .

Can't get it to even boot from the Windows CD. Can't get to the setup screen so I can get it to boot from CD and not the hard drive. Any suggestions? Any mode on the safe mode screen does not work.
Only option at starting is the F8 key which brings me back to the screen that all options on there do not work.

if you get to the safe mode screen you can get to
the win2000 cd ,you need to ge into the bios and change the boot order to cd-rom first ,do this by hitting del or f1-f2 f10 -f11 ,depending what computer you have ,it usually says when computer starts to boot up what key to hit .

Tried all the F1 F2 F10 and F11 keys and the del but none work. The computer I am having problems with is an IBM NetVista.
Suggestions? Would crash it but can't even get it to recognize a CD in it.

i think its f1 for ibm ,start hitting it over and over as soon as you start the computer and don't stop until it goes to bios.

Okay got it to boot to the BIOs screen . Got it to go to the repair option! Do I want to repair by pressing "c" for the recovery console or "R" for emergency repair process?
Please hang in there with me as you are a lifesaver!!!

use the C then follow the steps in the previous post. to run check disk from the prompt

do as bobbyraw said .

I type chkdsk at the prompt and says it is an invalid command. Now what?

I type chkdsk at the prompt and says it is an invalid command. Now what?

type help at the prompt ,it will give you choice of commands ,see if it there ,or maybe its scandisk

Not sure what I did but I did a c to reinstall and now it is going through the WIndows setup

you do mean a c to repair ,right ,better hope it install over ,or you could loose all data you have created /downloaded and so on and so on

also chkdsk should have worked .

yes a c to repair but the chkdsk did not work. It must have something to do with Roxio CD creator as it asked for me to put that CD back in my drive. Wonder why?

yes a c to repair but the chkdsk did not work. It must have something to do with Roxio CD creator as it asked for me to put that CD back in my drive. Wonder why?

you have to leave the windows cd in to run chkdsk .what could it possibly have to do with a cd burning program!!

Not sure but i had to put in the Roxio CD twice when asked for after doing the system repair. Seems to be working ok now. Will see when i totally reboot here in a few minutes.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.