Hey everyone...

Here's what I'm trying to do... I have a dual boot system with WinXP, and Windows Ent Server 2003 installed as a dual-boot. (don't ask... :eek: )

I need to remove the Win2k3 server edition from the system, and the XP installation is too important to wipe out and start the whole box over. Normally, I'm a person to just backup my data, format the drive, and start over, but in this case I REALLY, REALLY don't want to do that...

Is there a way to remove the one operating system without affecting the other????? I've really never heard of it...

I mean... can I just delete the Windows Server directory, and edit the boot.ini file? I don't have any software installed on the Win2k3 system... it's only been installed, and played around with for a bit.

Anyone who has tried this, or knows where I can find some info please speak up!!!!

Thanks!

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

I need to remove the Win2k3 server edition from the system, and the XP installation is too important to wipe out and start the whole box over. Normally, I'm a person to just backup my data, format the drive, and start over, but in this case I REALLY, REALLY don't want to do that...

How are the partitions arranged? There are a couple of ways to go about that, partially dependent on the pysical layout of the OSes in question.

ugh...

they are on a single partition. :(

ugh...

they are on a single partition. :(

Then you get to delete the directory and modify the boot.ini file.

Otherwise, backup and reinstall.

Is it really that simple? That was the first thing that crossed my mind, but it seemed to easy...

Is it really that simple? That was the first thing that crossed my mind, but it seemed to easy...

Well, some things in the Program Files directory may not function, and the Documents and Settings directory may be a little screwy, but in general, yes it's that easy. :)

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.