Hi,
I wanted to know if someone can help me? On my desktop some of my icons are not showing correctly. They show like pages to open with a program. I also went to control panel and it doesn't let me click and view system, Add or Remove programs, folder options etc. Does anyone know what is going on?

Thanks

Jadagurl

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

Sounds like you've picked up a virus. What are you using on your PC to protect yourself from virus's and spyware? Any firewall installed?

Sounds like you've picked up a virus. What are you using on your PC to protect yourself from virus's and spyware? Any firewall installed?

No..I dont have a virus protection. I need to get one though. Im not sure of any firewalls installed there might be one. Do you know what i can do from this point on?

I think its a file ext. that i need. Because i have to manually choose open with..and the program

OK, here's what you need to do and the order in which you need to do it.
1- Go here to download a free anti-virus program, AVG Anti-Virus
2- Go here for information about it and run the program. Follow the instructions to clean up anything found.
3- Go here for info and download links for the following anti-spyware programs. Follow the instructions in the order they are give.
4- Download and run the anti-spyware programs one at a time in the following order:
A- Spybot Search & Destroy
B- Ad Aware SE
C- HiJackThis
5- After running the HiJackThis, save the log, and copy & paste it into another post here. One of our forum members who's experience in that program will read it and give you further instructions.

NOTE: BE SURE TO TAKE YOUR TIME AND FULLY READ AND UNDERSTAND THE INSTRUCTIONS - BEFORE YOU INSTALL AND RUN THE PROGRAMS. Again, take your time. If you do not understand, quote what you are having problems with and ask for help here.

In your next post, tell us what type computer you have (make, model, processor type & speed, how much RAM, etc.), what operating system (Win 95/98SE/Me/2000,XP), and be VERY SPECIFIC about any errors displayed regarding your problems and any other symptoms you are getting. The more infor you give, the better we can help.

Opps!!! Forgot to mention the "firewall". If you do not have a wideband (highspeed-broadband) ISP connection (Cable, Wireless, DSL) then you probably do not need to worry at this time. If do have one of these, then you have an always on/connected link to the Internet and you must have a firewall to protect your computer. If you are on a dial-up connection (56 Kbps) then you can delay getting a firewall, but I would still recommend that you consider one.

Hi,
I wanted to know if someone can help me? On my desktop some of my icons are not showing correctly. They show like pages to open with a program. I also went to control panel and it doesn't let me click and view system, Add or Remove programs, folder options etc. Does anyone know what is going on?

Thanks

Jadagurl

what os are you useing ?????

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.