Hi there
I am having problems!
I cant view animations on the net
I have already checked this:

On the Tools menu in Internet Explorer, click Internet Options.
Click the Advanced tab.
Under Multimedia, check one or more of the Show pictures, Play animations, Play videos, or Play sounds check boxes.

The are and have always been properly checked. I have also typed in some .dll files into the RUN area of the start menu but that didnt owrk either
I dont know how long this has been going on for but now that I want animated gifs I cant use them
I have Incredimail and my animations work fine in emails. Like if someone sends me an email that has animation in it, it works fine, but anything on the web that is supposed to be animated isnt
I have Windows XP PRO and Zone Alarm and I am using Norton Corporate pro
I dont know if any of that matters
I am still a little DUH aobut computers, thanks for any help
Leanne

Recommended Answers

All 15 Replies

Go to one of the sites with the animations, and copy and past the address into you next post here,so I/we can check out the site and what makes it work .

What ISP are you using? I know if you use AOL, it converts standard .gifs into its proprietary .art compressed format, and that may be a reason why gifs aren't being animated? I doubt you're using AOL though ... try saving one of the images to your hard drive and opening it up from your hard drive. Is it animated then?

What ISP are you using? I know if you use AOL, it converts standard .gifs into its proprietary .art compressed format, and that may be a reason why gifs aren't being animated? I doubt you're using AOL though ... try saving one of the images to your hard drive and opening it up from your hard drive. Is it animated then?

I am using Shaw ISP and this problem hasnt been happening forever but its happening now
and no they arent animated when I save them to my hard drive either
SIGH

Go to one of the sites with the animations, and copy and past the address into you next post here,so I/we can check out the site and what makes it work .

this link here has an animated gif of a name tag someone made for me
http://public.fotki.com/arrow1960/santa_claus_is_comin/santas_comin_leanne.html

When I go there, it isnt even animated for me, and when I try to save it, it will save but not as an animation, but if someone sends me the animation in my email then I have it and it works fine in my email.
hope you can help me

I see the santa sled but im using SuSE right at the moment?
Maybe you could try a different browser www.mozilla.org
See if that works!!!

thanks I will see if that works
woll let you know

I see the santa sled but im using SuSE right at the moment?
Maybe you could try a different browser www.mozilla.org
See if that works!!!

I treied Mozilla and same thing, it doesnt work
thanks any way
Leanne

Try installing or if you allready have it reinstalling java from Sun, http://www.java.com/en/index.jsp
The santa and are animated for me in both browers ,and when i download it .

I think windows XP handles the timings in GIF animations all by itself.
This is just a theory so take your own risk here. But I would try system restore to a date when you knew the GIF files would animate or even better. Try setting up a new account cause your old one is probably getting a bit slow these days. I do account changes all the time it like installing the OS all over again and you don't spend anytime doing it.
does this work??
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/family.tierney/compu.gif

Try un-installing ZoneAlarm. I found this forum looking for help on how to fix the very same problem you have, and I noticed that you said you had Zone Alarm as well. It was a striking commonality, so I figured that I should try uninstalling and see if I got any success. It worked like a charm for me, I can see all the animated gifs I want now.

Hope I helped.

I can't view animations on the net... I don't know how long this has been going on for but now that I want animated gifs I can't use them... I have Incredimail and my animations work fine in emails.

It would appear that you have several problems.

1. Incredimail is spyware and can bog down your system and seriously interfere with your browser.
2. Some other spyware, adware, or Trojan is likely interfering with your ActiveX controls. Since all IE browser add-ons use ActiveX, problems ensue.

To start with, you should go to the HijackThis Quick Start Page and carefully follow the instructions.

You should also use Spybot Search & Destroy and/or Ad-Aware spyware/adware tools, as well. You can find links to both on my Malware Information page, along with more detailed information. I know it's a lot of information, but as long as you continue to use Internet Explorer and Outlook or Incredimail instead of Mozilla you are forced to become an expert on malware of every type.

Try un-installing ZoneAlarm. I found this forum looking for help on how to fix the very same problem you have, and I noticed that you said you had Zone Alarm as well. It was a striking commonality, so I figured that I should try uninstalling and see if I got any success. It worked like a charm for me, I can see all the animated gifs I want now.

Hope I helped.

It certainly seems to be ZoneAlarm that causes the problem. I found that a gif downloaded with ZoneAlarm enabled does not animate. The same file downloaded with ZoneAlarm disabled is the same size and works fine. It continues to work with ZoneAlarm re-enabled !
Strange...

Had the very same problem and hadn't thought to check zone alarm till now. Managed to get it sorted by going into zone alarm - Privacy - Ad Blocking - Custom - and unchecking the 'animation' box. Thanks folks. :)

I have somewhat the same problem in that I cant see the graphics that are supposed to be clickable icons, all I get is a box with a red x. All worked fine til I took out a small hard drive and put in a big one from an old computer I had, loaded windows xp pro and ie6. This was a week ago. It's the same xp pro disk, nothing new there, no changes were made by me to anything, it's all default settings. I have tried disabling ZoneAlarm, it made no difference. I have updated the java virtual machine, and that let me see some neat java stuff but didnt fix the icon situation. I've done pretty well all the stuff the original poster here has talked about, I've followed every idea suggested to me, yet I cant see a lot of clickable icons on websites that used to work just fine! Does anyone have some ideas for me? I dont have AOL or Incredimail.

Thanks
Funkynassau

Had the very same problem and hadn't thought to check zone alarm till now. Managed to get it sorted by going into zone alarm - Privacy - Ad Blocking - Custom - and unchecking the 'animation' box. Thanks folks. :)

Thank you so much! I was losing my mind! Everything worked fine on my laptop until the HD fried, and I scavanged about 10 CD's worth of data that I wanted to save in about 22 hours of work. I went back to my Win Millenium desktop and immediately noticed animations were not working. After 2 months Toshiba finally sent a replacement drive, and after reinstalling everything the way I remembered it on the laptop, (upgrading to SP2), I still had no animations. This was driving me nuts and I'm glad the mention of this thread was on Google. I found absolutely no support or mention of this problem anywhere else.

I have a newer version of Zone Alarm, but shut it down, and bam! animations worked and continued to work when I turned it back on. I reset the slider that blocks he animations from high to off, and all is well. Can see all pictures and animations again.

ATF

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.