How do I change this picture (see attachment)?

Recommended Answers

All 9 Replies

Not sure about the Windows icon but I know you can change the IE icon via a registry hack. I use a program called Tweak-XP to do this. Here's a link to the manual way: http://www.virtualplastic.net/html/logo_thr.html

Sorry, I don't know about for Windows though :(

Hmn, I was able to remove the windows logo from my start button.... I'll keep trying.

Alright,
After extreme periods of digging and searching (and even attempts with findwindow and findwindowex api's??) I was able to find how to do it. Right now, it's narrowed down to (because I didn't replace, I removed all the bitmaps that resembled that particular icon). Anyway, there is a program called "reshack", which allows you to open "resource" files (exe's, dll's, etc). I found the picture that appears up there in the file %windir%\system32\shell32.dll. Under The "Bitmap" folder, there are a number of folders. 240, 241, 242, 245, 246, and 247 all contained that particular image (the ugly white backgrounded windows logo). I made a backup first (of course) before modifying shell32.dll, then deleted all of those bitmaps. It was a pain to actually kill the process running that DLL, and replace it with my current version, but I do have it working without the logo in the upper right (it's actually a completely black square right now). Tomorrow, after I get some sleep and after work, I will continue my efforts to pinpoint which of those resources actually belongs to the "my computer" like windows.

Ok,
In Reshacker, after loading the file, it's under bitmaps, then 240 (once you open 240, click the green thing, and it will load the picture in the right pane). The picture is saved in the dll file, as a long vertical banner. This is actually the frames of the image as it's loaded in the window (in the right corner, it's an animated picture, not a still picture), and the very last image to be displayed (and the one that stays there for the duration of the window being open), is the very top frame. You can export the bitmap (right click on the green light thing), and edit it with paint. Then you can replace the resource with your modified bitmap (again, right click the green light thing). I colored mine all grey, but you can put just about any thing that will fit in the banner in there (But don't modify the height or width of the picture). Then, click File, and Save as... and save the file to someplace you won't forget with the name of shell32.dll and get ready for some difficult task. In XP, Windows seems to replace files when they turn up missing, so, if you can delete the shell32.dll, and replace it with the modified one, then you're good to go. Boot up in safe mode, remove shell32.dll (this required me to build a program that scanned the process list, and terminated the PID for shell32.dll, then removed shell32.dll, and replaced it with my own [with the modified picture]), then replace shall32.dll with your modified one (my program did all 3). Then reboot, and load up in normal mode. Voila.

DON'T FORGET TO BACK UP shell32.dll.

I personally wouldn't feel comfortable recommending someone modify a DLL file in the way you've described. Most people don't know this, but nearly everything in Windows is customizable by some kind of script, WMI control, group policy, or registry setting. Try these links I've found from the Internet Explorer Resource Kit:

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/ie/6/all/reskit/en-us/part5/c20ie6rk.mspx

Apparently, if you have the Resource Kit (Don't ask me where to get that from), you can change all of this stuff through some type of Wizard. They make these things available for ISPs (Comcast is one, for instance), so they can rebrand IE to suit their own brand identity, so you think you're on "their" Internet.

Alex,

While I Agree with it being taboo to alter a dynamic link library, however, it seems to me that the resource kit changes the logo for IE (and from what I can tell, IE only). This doesn't solve the problem of changing the animated logo in the "my computer" window (and the others like it). It's quite a difficult task, understandably confusing, and if there is a solution that is more elegant, I, personally would like to use it.

Alex,

While I Agree with it being taboo to alter a dynamic link library, however, it seems to me that the resource kit changes the logo for IE (and from what I can tell, IE only). This doesn't solve the problem of changing the animated logo in the "my computer" window (and the others like it). It's quite a difficult task, understandably confusing, and if there is a solution that is more elegant, I, personally would like to use it.

Actually, if you look through that link I provided, there is a section regarding the animated logo in the corner. It was towards the bottom, if I recall correctly. I know it can't be too difficult, since dozens of ISPs use that space for customization.

Thanks very much for the in depth look at this Comatose. Aprently MS doesn't want to make this easy, as usual. I will give it a go and see if I can replace it with a more... neutral icon.

It was my pleasure....

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.