Hi,

Having just put my Windows 2000 drive onto a new motherboard and found it didn't work - and being unable to find any way to get it to do so, as it mysteriously wouldn't work any more on the old motherboard (it claimed a missing OS) - I am trying to install a clean copy of Win2K to a blank partition.

The text-mode setup is fine, but the subsequent graphical setup is not completing; it doesn't fail at a specific point or always give the same error, though. Sometimes the error is KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED (a particular bugbear when trying to get the old installation to boot, returning for a reprise here it seems), other times IRQL_NOT_LESS_THAN_OR_EQUAL or PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA. Problems occasionally occur in the hardware detection, but they're shifting towards the component installation at the end; a page fault crashed the system while it was finishing Setup, leaving a broken ks.sys and a non-booting system. I will, therefore, be formatting the partition and reinstalling again.

I have also occasionally experienced freezes in Windows 2000 setup, generally network component installation. It's likely that they're part of the same problem.

All new:
AMD Athlon 64 3400+
1GB TwinMOS 400Mhz DDR-SDRAM
Chaintech VNF3-250

Thanks in advance.

It's sorted now. If anyone's interested, it was a faulty RAM stick.

IRQL_NOT_LESS_THAN_OR_EQUAL or PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA

Yup, those two errors almost always indicate a memory problem.
Glad you got sorted- marking this thread as "solved"...

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.