i`m running win xp pro and i cant open more than one window if i try to open it gives an error message ie has encountered a problem and needs to close.i have norton and i have scanned and there is no virus.by the way my ie is 6 version and i also have its sp.plz help me out.

Recommended Answers

All 24 Replies

i cant think of anything that would cause this problem besides maybe a incorrect registry setting maybe?

have you installed anything to tweak ie?

I'd say the same thing... never heard of anything quite like that...

I get the error message sometimes, and all my IE windows shut down (usually after I've spent alot of time on a forum post, and hit submit without copying the text to the clipboard), but I can open as many as I want until then... like the times I get really bent out of shape, and click the IE quick-launch shortcut 50 times !!! LOL

I have the exact same problem that just started a week ago for no apparent reason. I can only open ONE explorer window in XP Pro using a shortcut icon. All subsequent attempts to open windows result in the error report message. I can use the one window indefinitely, however.
I didn't install any new software or updates when the problem arose. I think it must be a hijacker or virus, but neither Norton or AdAware come up with any leads.
I have found a work-around to open multiple windows. I can use CTRL-N to open as many windows as I want with no errors! I don't get it, but it'll work till I find a cure.

Have you guys tried deleting the shortcut and then recreating it? What if you recreate it (temporarily) in a different directory on your hard drive?

I have a similar problem - for no apparent reason I can only have one window open in XP - complete pain.

I NEED HELP!!!!!!! I can only open one internet explorer like everyone else but when i try to open up another internet explorer it just opens up a new one and loads up my home page like if you were opening up a new internet explorer and mine doesnt bring up an error message though :rolleyes: someone please help me and tell me what i need to do it is frustraiting. :evil:

These mightn't help or you may have done them, but they're quick and simple to try...

1. Right-click on the link you want to open and click on "Open in new window" in the pop-up menu.

2. Shift-click on the link.

3. Tools > Internet Options > Advanced tab > Browse section > uncheck "Reuse windows for launching shortcuts."

This is an adware. Delete any file using the name winshow (usually a dll). good luck.

If removing that file doesnt work. Delete all contents of the temp folder in the local settings folder of the user having the problem.

If removing that file doesnt work. Delete all contents of the temp folder in the local settings folder of the user having the problem.

Thanks a lot Toolboy for giving a reply,but i have solved the problem long ago.The main problem is with the installation of the speech engines in the MS word.So those who have the same problem of "cant open more than one IE window".Try and uninstall the speech engines from the MS word and the problem will be solved

had a problem like this and none of the solutions above solved it, but I was able to resolve the problem.
tools>internet options>programs>manage add-ons
now I found out what was causing my problem was Yahoo companion BHO and disabled it, anyone of the addons can cause the proble so you would have to do an elimination method on it.

You are brilliant! Thanks - your suggestion solved my problem immediately.

Blairn02

had a problem like this and none of the solutions above solved it, but I was able to resolve the problem.
now I found out what was causing my problem was Yahoo companion BHO and disabled it, anyone of the addons can cause the proble so you would have to do an elimination method on it.

:mrgreen:

If i were you i would get rid of internet explorer... its had its day.. your better off using mozilla firefox! this way u will be less liable to stupid pop ups and browser hijackings, and you will be able to open more than one window! infact better still you can use tab browsing and have multiple pages open on different tabs in the same window so u wont even need to open more than one window!

get it here

http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/

undergee
Thank you. That solved my problems.I found another add-on that was cousing the rest of my problems.I was starting to looking for some C4! Thanks

undergee
Thank you! This solved my problem.. I've been cursing my computer since for days! Darned Yahoo.
--e

Thanks a stack.
Your suggestion really helped, that problem has driving me mad for days. I even had to do some work because trying to surf the net was so annoying :) :)

I had the same problem -no error message - but unable to open more than 1 window. I tried many, many things to no avaail and do not have yahoo companion, but I did have yahoo toolbar until another post told me to uninstall it which I did. EURAKA !!! My problem instantly disappeared. I have have yahoo toolbar for a long time so there must have been a change to something somewhere but removing it definitely did the job.

I just encountered the same problem a couple days ago after installing Yahoo Messenger.
I have since then uninstalled it, but am having a little trouble knowing which step to follow in the previous replies to fix my problem.
Could someone give me a clear solution to fix the problem of the previous window closing when opening a new one? Thanks.

By the way- while using internet explorer, I already went to "tools> internet options> programs tab"... but did not find anything that says "manage add-ons"??

undergee - many thanks for the fix! Manage-add-ons did the trick as i had just installed Yahoo Instant Messenger! Cheers mate.
:p

:cheesy: okay, i might be slow to this, but I had the same problem for about 2 weeks. I UNINSTALLED yahoo tool bar, that didnt fix it. I am not an IT expert, so I dont know what registry setting mean. Here is what I did. I went to C:/Program files and then looked in the YAHOO folder. there were several other folders in there. When I CNTRL+Selected multiple folder to delete, I kept on getting an error message; r2bin.dill cant be deleted, it may be in use. I locaed that file in one of the folders and individually deleted it. It worked.
Now I am able to open multiple windows in IE 6.5. I am using Windows XP home edition.:p

I just encountered the same problem a couple days ago after installing Yahoo Messenger.
I have since then uninstalled it, but am having a little trouble knowing which step to follow in the previous replies to fix my problem.
Could someone give me a clear solution to fix the problem of the previous window closing when opening a new one? Thanks.

By the way- while using internet explorer, I already went to "tools> internet options> programs tab"... but did not find anything that says "manage add-ons"??

thats right, no mamage add on in the IE menu. read my post below, you ahve to find the annoying *.dll file and delete that. even un-installing yahoo messenger didnt work for me, but seem to ahve worked for others

probably corrupted? try to reinstall it.. :-/

By now im wondering if they have!

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.