Not sure if this works w/ previous versions, haven't checked, won't bother :).

Steps:
1. Get ResHacker (Resource Hacker) Download & open it.

2. Run the ResHacker.exe and open up C:\Windows\Explorer.exe with it. Expand the "String Table" on the left. Expand the "37" folder (38 for "classic" winxp style), then select the 1033 option in there. You should see something like:

STRINGTABLE
LANGUAGE LANG_ENGLISH, SUBLANG_ENGLISH_US
{
578, 	"start"
579, 	"There was an internal error and one of the windows you were using has been closed."
580, 	"Restrictions"
581, 	"This operation has been cancelled due to restrictions in effect on this computer. Please contact your system administrator."
590, 	"Hiding your inactive notification icons..."
591, 	"To see the hidden icons, click this button."
}

appearing in the display window on the right.

3. Change start to whatever you want to display on your taskbar.

4. Press "Compile Script"

5. Select from menu: File >> Save As. Save it as explorer1.exe in your Windows\ directory.

6. Goto: Start >> Run Run exe: regedit

7. Change the registry value for SHELL to Explorer1.exe @ HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\

8. Close regedit & reboot.

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

Hi. Using this tweak means that the Start button will say anything you want, however you will not be able to use the Search function of Windows XP.

I go over a method to replace the original explorer.exe in this thread: Hack Windows Explorer

Using this method, you can still use the search function for XP.

I have tried loads of these but none of them have worked. Does anyone have a good one for me to try? I have Windows MCE2005. I would be really greatful for your replies.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.