Hey everybody,

("Hello doctor Nick...")..anyways getting back to business.

I got a seriously annoying problem, I've been running WinXP
on a P4-2.4G 512MB-RAM for about 2 years now, with of course
the occasional formating and cleaning and upgrading...

Well now my Microsoft Internet Explorer is starting to act up,
whenever i click on a link that opens up a new window, the
windows become "locked", I am unabe to close then through
conventional methods (ie. x on the the top right) everytime I
try, windows gives me a "beep"...only way the close them
is to end process or end program.

Funny thing is, once a window becomes locked, the cpu usage for the internet explorer goes to max. I've been having this problem for about a month now, and its really starting to irritate me.

I would be much obliged to any with any suggestions what so ever.
(I see that others have also had the 100% cpu usage errors <*sigh*> the trials of windows...they never seem to end)

Recommended Answers

All 9 Replies

ps.

I have tried all the adware programs and spybot and anti-trogran
and everything has been cleaned, i have tried any and all solutions
previously posted to related IE problems, this will be my last resort before formatting, so I'm knee deep here.

Greets,

I am having the exact same problem that is being described here. My internet explorer refuses to close under WindowsXP after more than one window is opened up. I have used WindowsXP for the past 2 years now and have never seen this happen before so i can only assume that this is something relatively new.

The only way that is possible to shut down the excess windows is to shut down all Internet Explorer windows through the task manager.

I could be wrong, but this is acting alot like some kind of browser re-routing and/or hijacking. I have been seeing occasional windows just popping up with unusual, unknown long addresses in them...they usually do not successfully connect to anything and only result in a standard IE connection error page.

I have tried some of the usual stuff as well (adaware, IEdoctor, etc...) nothing changes. I've also tried re-installing IE6 over the old version and only get a failed install notification.

If anyone knows what is causing this and how to correct it...please let us know

I had the same exact problem. It consists of a type of browser hijacking, I believe, caused by spyware installing a BHO, or Browser Helper Object.

To fix the problem, you must edit your registry, so back it up first!
Simply delete this key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Browser Helper Objects

And that's it! Remember, if it doesn't work for you, restore your registry from a recent backup! It has worked for many people, though, including me. BTW, I'm still running Win98SE with IE6 and all the patches/updates. Hope this helps!

Assuming you both use anti virus, and spybot, keep them updated and run them.. i'd have to ask if you've tried to repair IE? looks like you have enough ram.. but still sounds like what happens before your system wants to crash. IE repair link avail on windows pg below,, u can give it a try anyway

YouZer got it right.

I've been having the problem for a few weeks-driving me nutz!

I found the Browser Helper Objects, deleted them, and IE closes just fine.

Thanks for your help.

thankz alot----this was driving me nutz. the checkz in da mail---ok itz not but thankz alot.:evil: :evil:

I had the same exact problem. It consists of a type of browser hijacking, I believe, caused by spyware installing a BHO, or Browser Helper Object.

To fix the problem, you must edit your registry, so back it up first!
Simply delete this key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Browser Helper Objects

And that's it! Remember, if it doesn't work for you, restore your registry from a recent backup! It has worked for many people, though, including me. BTW, I'm still running Win98SE with IE6 and all the patches/updates. Hope this helps!

I have a similar problem. I open IE, or Firefox, and they work fine when I restart my computer, but that all of a sudden I try to open one of them and no window appears, but it appears in the processes portion of my task manager. I close both Firefox.exe's disregarding the "TERMINATE" warning, and they close fine, than I can reopen Firefox Safe Mode. But IE is different, I close all of them same way in the processec tab, but one will not close after I click end process, and it dosent show up in tasks. IT is using say 76,000 k of memory, but im fine since I have 2048M of ram. And ideas, cause i need to constantly be opening these windows.

Such problems are not always caused by malware, though I am definitely one to give my first suspicions to such.

Simply deleting the BHO registry entry is not a proper solution, finding which BHO is causing the problem and deleting that specific entry would be better.

My two cents.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.