I see that this is a subject addressed many times before, but it seems that each has a different solution based on the parameter listed.
Background:
Dell Dimension 4550 Pentium 4 2.0 ghz 256 mb ram XP (SP3)
no new software installed except for installing new Microsoft Comfort 3000 Opti mouse about three weeks ago.

I can get as far as the desktop beginning to load before the blue screen of death. Went into safe mode and managed to get my picture files and money files copied onto a memeory stick. While in safe mode I went into the Device Manager and the only problem I could find is that the printer driver was flagged. Updated the driver and the flag went away but the computer continues to blue screen on bootup. Thought I could System Restore, but can't under safe mode and can't get system loaded long enough to try.

Tech Info (note - 1st parameter changed 4 times during my attempts to fix)
Original failure :
(0XE1D7A000, 0X0000002, 0X0000000, 0XF9B63CF6)
Changes to 1st parameter
0XE1A48000 then 0XE1A14000 finally is 0XE1A49000

Tried to find these on Microsoft's site but none listed.
I'm not a computer whiz by any means, but I can follow instructions that are in plain English so if anyone can lend a hand I'd appreciate it - my budget can't afford a replacement so I really need to try and get this old PC going again.

Recommended Answers

All 7 Replies

a missing number might help ,what was the # before this (0XE1D7A000, 0X0000002, 0X0000000, 0XF9B63CF6), should have looked something like this "0x000000xx(0XE1D7A000, 0X0000002, 0X0000000, 0XF9B63CF6)"

Sorry - 0x000000D1
My understanding is that it is a driver related problem, but I tried checking every driver I could find under Device Manager and could not find anything out of the ordinary.

hi, it could be a bad stick of ram!

Sorry - 0x000000D1
My understanding is that it is a driver related problem, but I tried checking every driver I could find under Device Manager and could not find anything out of the ordinary.

hi, if you have a windows cd, boot to it and go to recovery console and do a , chkdsk /p/r

how to use recovery /
http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000627.htm

if you don't have windows cd, you can get file here to create set of 6 boot floppies ,
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=310994

I am running into an endless loop here - I have the original Reinstallation CD from Dell for Windows XP, but I can't keep the system running long enough to boot up. I did go to F12 when booting to change the booting to read from the CD first, but even that hasn't helped. I used my daughter's laptop to check out the Microsoft boot floppies, but of course her laptop is new and nobody uses floppies anymore so I can't download. I have a bad feeling that I own 25 pounds of scrap now. I have appreciated your help though, I just think I've come to the end of the road with this problem unless you have any other hopeful ideas. Thanks - Jim

yeah ,recovery cd's are a little harder to use , any winxp cd will be ok to use for the recovery console.if you can borrow one .but even the recovery cd should boot ! open computer case and make sure its not a overheating problem cause by dust buildup

Had to wait to borrow another PC to reply. Looks like I have a terminal problem. Have tried everything suggested and every solution I could locate online without luck. My PC won't load off either its floppy or CD drive on bootup so recovery discs are not working and only on a rare bootup it will get as far as beginning to load the desktop before it blue screens again. I can only figure that I picked up a truely nasty virus that got past my Spybot and Adaware or it is a hardware problem beyond my skills. Unfortunately, in my small town we have only two PC repair providers and they are both not very well thought of. I guess I am going to provide some stimulus to the economy and have to buy a new system. Thanks to all who tried to help. Jim

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.