I having a really annoying problem and i am really f***ed up trying to solve this. So plz guys, help me out with this.

First my PC config.

Core 2 duo e6600
DG965RY intel original
2*2gb kingston ddr2 800 mhz (Just bought it and this is the start of all my troubles)
Seagate 500 gb HDD -- Installed windows 7 32 bit edition
Western Digital 160 gb -- Installed vista 64 bit ultimate edition, regularly updated

I have been using 3*1 gb kingston ddr2 667 mhz RAM on the above config without any problem. Last month i decided to upgrade to 4 gb and to 800 mhz, so i sold 2 of my RAM chips. But due to some tight budget i couldnt buy the new RAMs' and have to spend a whole month with my handicapped windows. Yesterday i bought the twins and i was very happy, you all must know how great it feels when you get something you have been waited for long and have sacrified something for it. I just install the RAM's and booted normally with vista. But i couldnt go beyond vista's loading screen. No errors, no hangups, just the progress bar, thats all. I restarted and check in BIOS, check the memory is in the slot perfectly, checked everything, but all in vein. I have heard about the problem with 3gb+ RAM with the windows server and vista, but i think that was with the installation procedure. It should work here properly. Moreover, this problem is solved with SP1. Then what the hell is wrong ???
Now i booted into windows 7, a little delay but everything is working fine. It is showing full 4gb RAM, even with the 32 bit edition. Finding that there is something wrong with vista itself, i tried booting in it with only a single 2 gb module, and it booted. I tried the with the other module and it is booting again. Now its clear that it has got problem with both of them simultaneously. so i thought of formatting it.
I start my vista installation, formatted the drive and it started copying files, expanding files, installing updates and features, completing installation...... But didnt go beyond it. It got stuck again on completing installation. Tried again, but the problem persists. Then i tried the third time with one module and finaaly got the things working.
Now when i see that the vista is refusing the extra RAM, so i thought of shifting to windows 7 . To use it to full, i decided to install windows 7 64 bit. Installation started, but what the hell, it got stuck again. Same problem -- No errors, no hangups, just a progress bar. I already have formatted windows drive, so i have to install it using 1 RAM. Now, i am sitting here with only 2gb, wasted almost 1 whole day, but the things are still not ok.
I also downloaded the patch from microsoft for this problem but on installing, it says -- This update doesnt apply to this system.
Anyone know what to do now?? I am really getting screwed now.

Recommended Answers

All 16 Replies

I would guess this is a problem with the the chanel set-up of the ram. Take a look at your motherboards manual for their suggested memory configuration for two chips. It might be a problem with having both on the same chanel or something of the like...

Also, take a look at your bios settings and see that the memory is running at the right speed. If there is a problem with the system that's underclocking the RAM it could also be effecting performance.

There could also be a BIOS update for your motherboard.

I have already done everything you suggested. But everything is ok.

Actually i managed to run the RAM somehow in the vista 64. But now it is showing only 3136 mb RAM... Now i want rest of my bits... Any suggestions.....
I still have to make it work in windows 7, but i am not able to do that...

I still have to make it work in windows 7, but i am not able to do that...

win 7 is beta ,your suppose to have problems ,that what microsoft has beta testers for ,to help solve the problem that occur . there are many win7 beta fourms to search like this one .
http://www.neowin.net/forum/index.php?showforum=227 ,

I have heard about the problem with 3gb+ RAM with the windows server and vista, but i think that was with the installation procedure. It should work here properly. Moreover, this problem is solved with SP1. Then what the hell is wrong ???
Now i booted into windows 7, a little delay but everything is working fine. It is showing full 4gb RAM, even with the 32 bit edition

Actuallu SP1 and Windows 7 can still only use 3gb or so, ms just made it so it will say 4gb ram , even if it cant actually use it, as the way it was before confused many people.

In relation to that link you posted, there is a similar issue where vista wont install with over 2gb of ram installed. To get it to work a hotfix must be integrated.

Give up Vista, it's the worst OS created by MS.
Install XP SP3, it's perfect

Give up Vista, it's the worst OS created by MS.
Install XP SP3, it's perfect

Other than the fact it has no sandboxing for IE, users run with elevated privileges 90% of the time, registry and file permissions insecure by default, no native wifi support, lack of native sata/raid support, poor imaging and delpoyment tools..... i could continue if you want...

XPs lifecycle has been extended many time, but will not be again. XP is on its last legs... You cant get XP anymore (unless you get a netbook or are a corporate customer) and there will be no new service packs (maybe a rollup) and IE8/WMP11 will be the last releases of those products for it as it enters extended support in 2010. MS say they will support it until 2014 but my guess is they will kill it off by doing what they did with NT4 and saying that there is too many security flaws to patch on it due to its design being different and too old.

My advice: Dump XP. Get windows 7 when it comes out. All new builds should use vista.

Just to point out, residental branded systems CAN get XP through the downgrade, many systems come with it installed so you have an upgrade path to Vista. I personally think this is the best solution for a lot of people since it lets them hold on to vista with a solid upgrade path when they're ready.

XP is a good operating system, I use it as my primary at work but not at home, but it is 7 years old and running out of steam.

Also, anybody who cares about gaming and has a decent video card NEEDS to go with vista for it's DX10 support.

Just to point out, residental branded systems CAN get XP through the downgrade

Only Vista Business and Ultimate support downgrade (to XP pro). Vista home does not come with downgrade rights.

but it is 7 years old

XP came out in like September 2001 or thereabouts, that makes it neary 9 years old. (In fact, XP only came out like 9 months after windows 2000 did, the reason for this was because windows 2000 was never meant to happen, nor was windows ME - xp was supposed to signify the combining of the consumer (DOS based) and business (NT based) product lines - this was codenamed windows Neptune. But the dates keps slipping, so windows 2000 and ME got releases as a stopgap measure (ME got made in under 6 months with very little testing, which may explain why it was crap....), and windows 2000 and XP are very similar - windows 2000 is essentially XP without activation, compatibility tools or the nice wizards and themes - a.k.a the home features)

Then again, SP2 (2004) was a major change for XP and was essentially a point release in itself... (in fact, if you count xp sp2 as being a release, it fits in quite nicely with the new version every 3 years scheme...)

I'm well aware home and home premium don't come with a downgrade, but Ultimate is considered a residential version and if you go to many OEMs (I checked with Dell) you can still go to home systems and search by "XP downgrade" as on OS option

Check your math, september 2001 makes 7-1/2 years not nearly 9, And Wikipedia says the public release was October 25, 2001.

And I'm well aware of the operating system line-up before XP, I stuck with win2k for a long time because I had a copy and the lack of activation let me install it on whatever computer I'd cobbled together at the time.

Over all windows XP was a great operating system, but all good things come to an end. The vista/7 platform is what the next few years is going to look like and it's time to accept that, even if XP still has it's place in certain implementations.

The License Terms for most OEM versions of systems software do not grant downgrade rights. The exception is the OEM License Terms for the Windows® XP Professional operating system and the Windows Vista™ Business and Windows Vista Ultimate operating systems, which grant downgrade rights.

According to microsoft.

Re read my last post, I said that Home and Home Premium don't have downgrade rigths, Ultimate does, and didn't mention business because we were talking about residential systems, but I'm aware it includes downgrade and never argued that.

PS: When you go to the home computer section of Dells site I'd expect that they're Vista Ultimate downgrades, but they do have a habit of throwing "home office" computers in there so some may be Business.

I agree with you guys..... Vista is just a crap, Xp is much more stable and faster than it. But i am just addicted to some features like search. I will be upgrading completely to windows 7, will be even dumping all vista discs...

I will be upgrading completely to windows 7, will be even dumping all vista discs...

If you are buying an upgrade edition you will need the old disks....

Annoyingly i upgraded to XP pro from windows 2000, then to vista business.

Windows 2000 cant be upgraded straight to vista, and vista wont take a CD as proof of eligibiliy, so i must install XP (showing it the win2k disk when it asks for proof), then upgrade to vista from within XP. Very annoying.

Im loathed to pkay double the price for a full-edition licence though...

If you are buying an upgrade edition you will need the old disks....

I am going to get a 64-bit version.... Do i still need the discs ????

If you are currently using Windows XP Professional x64, you are eligible for an upgrade copy to Windows Vista Business or Ultimate, but a clean install is required.

Thats the only system you can use cheaper upgrade disk for. Otherwise you need to buy the more expensive full version.

You cannot perform an upgrade (preserving your data and applications etc...) to a 64 bit version of windows vista whatsoever.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.