hello everybody!
I have installed windows XP in my laptop. I want to change my user name (loginname) of my XP. I followed the following steps.
right click on Mycomputer->manage -> users and groups -> users ->
and then right click on my user name (pratapch) and say rename. It is allowing to type new name, but it is not accepting the new name. I tried in another laptop and there it is working. Then I tried in another laptop, there it is not working. I am getting confused what to do to rename the login name. I have administrative rights and the account which i tried to change is also administrator account (i am doing this from same account, working in one laptop and not in one).
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance..

Recommended Answers

All 7 Replies

first login in the administrator and then try to change the values..... try in safe mode...

Try the other way :
Start---->Control Panel---->User Accounts---> choose the user
account that you want to change---> change the name.

Let us know if this option works or doesnot work

Try the other way :
Start---->Control Panel---->User Accounts---> choose the user
account that you want to change---> change the name.

Let us know if this option works or doesnot work

This won't work, because that only changes the full name of the user, but not the login name (username).

After changing the account name ,when you restart your computer
,do you get an authentication box asking for user name and password or you get a welcome screen showing the log in name?

After changing the account name ,when you restart your computer
,do you get an authentication box asking for user name and password or you get a welcome screen showing the log in name?

no i use fast user logon screen, which don't ask that

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.