Hello all,

I am in a bit of a pickle I think, I have just ordered a computer to be made today, will have it tomorrow night. The problem is that, I was wanting to use the Windows xp pro 2002 from the old computer, but am not sure if it is a legitimate copy or not, the installation discs that my partners parents have for is: Microsoft works suite 2000, I had a look at the product key on the computer, it has no internet access, so I cant do that legitimacy check on Microsoft.com: My main point being

Is there any possible way of checking if the cd key is a legitimate product key or not?
Also just wanting to confirm that Microsoft works suite 2000 is not an operating system?

Thank you for any assistance and apologies for bad spelling.

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

There is really no way unless you install the Genuine Advantage Tool.

You can go to microsoft and download it and then run it on the machine in question.

It will tell you right away if you are running counterfeit software.

If you have the holographic sticker and the license is only on one computer at a time, you should be good. (Added to what techniner said about the genuine validation tool)

And ya works is a lesser version of office.

If the product key starts with the letters FCKGW then it is an invalid product key.

And yes the Microsoft Works is definitely not the Operating System at all. The one you normally get with a pc is also a trial version so not that useful unless u wanna go buy the full one after 60/90 days.

Raj

Microsoft Works is a scaled down Office product intended for Home users only.

If they do not have the original install CD then more than likely it is a pirated version.

Download and run this, it will show your key.

The Magical Jelly Bean Keyfinder is a freeware utility that retrieves your Product Key (cd key) used to install windows from your registry. It has the options to copy the key to clipboard, save it to a text file, or print it for safekeeping. It works on Windows 95, 98, ME, NT4, 2000, XP, Server 2003, Windows Vista, Office 97, Office XP, and Office 2003.

http://www.magicaljellybean.com/keyfinder.shtml

But using XP on another system depends on your EULA that was provided originally.

You can call Microsoft and get them to verify the key for you and let you know which version you have - OEM or store bought.

There is a big difference between OEM and a purchased copy of XP in terms of licensing.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.