Hi There, I really need help as I am a dumb bunny when it comes to windows problems. I already contacted the HP techs, after 10 hours of chatting with them for 4 days, nothing was resolved.... my vista computer, almost 14 months old, has a problem starting up/stalling/crashing after a few minutes of going on, but, when it does run, it can run all day without a hitch. I did a hardware diagnostic..nothing there, tried reset the bios (computer work for a day) then went back to shutting down again, if I keep on resetting the bios everytime I try to start the computer, wouldn't it do more harm than good? Blue screen errors are random IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL; Memory_Management; Page_Fault_in_nonpaged area or nothing at all just black screen.
Just to try it out, when I left it on from Friday afternoon and got back home on Sunday (today), it is working fine. Only when I turn it off in the evenings it won't start the next day. Any ideas? Thanks in Advance!!

Recommended Answers

All 12 Replies

This is a follow up on the HP Pavilion desktop a6357c that can't start up, I didn't turn it off since Friday afternoon and it works fine. I dread to turn it off in the evenings now, but, its better than not working. Computer techs sent me information on Reducing Heat inside the computer to prevent crashes, I kept on telling them the computer doesn't start when its been off overnight. They don't know a thing like me.
Computer doesn't work on System Restore, won't go back to previous dates. Do I have to do a full system recovery to see if there's a problem with the hardware or software? Any suggestions? Thanks!

Resetting BIOS wouldn't likely do more harm than good but it could be annoying, on that note it sounds like you may have found your problem there, it sounds like it is obviously a problem near the 1st stages, like the motherboard failing POST & refusing to start the OS. Try enabling POST messages to see if there is an error turning up there as it may lead you somewhere. Logically one wouldn't assume there is a problem with the partition table or MBR, so it might be a good idea to try using a fix command from the Vista disk just as a good practice & try it to see type of thing.

I will note that it is unlikely a software problem, unless it is internal software (within bios (firmware)) or similar... When you go to start it up what exactly happens? (Step by step style, for example, the computer starts up, the bios/POST screen shows, then... (go into detail, give us an idea exactly where it gets too))

Here is the best I remember, since I didn't turn off the computer since Friday. Has been an on going problem for weeks. I usually turn off the computer every night.
These are one of many instances:
1. Start the computer, it loads up normally, goes to the desktop, then within a minute, keyboard/mouse stops, everything freezes, can't get into Task Manager or any files. Leave it for a while, nothing happens, turn it off and try the startup again. This time my monitor goes to sleep, says no imput. Computer blue light (the one you press to start it) goes on, yellow light next to it does not go on (it usually blinks when its running). Restart again, same thing nothing happens.
2. Start the computer, does not load anything, blank screen, monitor says going to sleep, no input. Won't go into Windows or anything.
3. Start the computer, goes to desktop, when I try to look into My Documents for a file, it shuts down for a second, a blue screen comes on , error on different days shows:
IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
Memory Management
Page_Fault_in_Nonpaged area
.....or no blue screen but the monitor shuts down

Did a hardware diagnostic test on it, doesn't show any errors
Did a Disk defrag
Tried a system restore to an earilier point, didn't work, says it can't restore to an older date.

When resetting the bios, it doesn't really work right away, might take 2 tries before it starts up normally.

Now that I have the computer on 24 hours, I have no problems, it didn't shut down on me yet. I don't know computer language too much, I don't know what is POST or how to enable POST messages. Since this computer had Windows Vista pre-installed, I only made a recovery disk (which I think is to reset to factory settings) I'm not sure what it really does. Took me 3 DVDs to copy the files. I wouldn't know how to do a fix on that one.
thanks for any advice!

> Computer techs sent me information on Reducing Heat inside the computer to prevent crashes,
> I kept on telling them the computer doesn't start when its been off overnight.
I have to agree with you - it's a thermal problem all right, but it's for being too cold rather than too hot.

Given that you're getting memory related errors, my guess might be that the RAM has a dodgy connection somewhere.

Find the DIMM modules on the motherboard, and do a half push on the ejector tabs to partially unseat the module. Then give it a good push to reseat it and make sure you get a 'click' as the ejectors lock into place.

If the DRAM chips themselves are shot, then the only answer is new DRAM modules.

I have to agree with you - it's a thermal problem all right, but it's for being too cold rather than too hot.

Are you sure? I don't think he has stated how cold the ambient temperature is? Not to mention wouldn't a computer actually be running better while it is cold? The only problem is in some cases condensation can occur, which obviously for a computer is bad.

Now that I have the computer on 24 hours, I have no problems, it didn't shut down on me yet. I don't know computer language too much, I don't know what is POST or how to enable POST messages. Since this computer had Windows Vista pre-installed, I only made a recovery disk (which I think is to reset to factory settings) I'm not sure what it really does. Took me 3 DVDs to copy the files. I wouldn't know how to do a fix on that one.

POST is the Power On Self Test that a motherboard/bios does, it's usually a setting you can enable quite easily (for example pressing tab once the comp 1st starts up or sometimes within the bios itself) I agree with Salem that there could be a memory problem, especially since Memory is often a cause of problems. Just to check try memtest download it, should be able to find out how to use it yourself with that site. Just to be sure. Also try Salem's suggestion as it may just need reseating.

Hi again, I just want to say I don't live in a cold place, I live in Hawaii, temperature is almost always the same, warm, not humid indoors. I sure am afraid to turn it off and go through everything under the sun to start it up again. But, I will try it once I get my new laptop loaded with the programs I need. Then I don't have to worry about not being able to access some documents that I have in the desktop. I'm in the process of putting all my information from the desk top to a usb exterior drive and transfering it to the laptop.
Again, thanks for all your help. I sure need them.

Okay, I downloaded the memtest and ran it on the computer, did not show any errors or anything, I stopped short of turning the computer off for the DIMM check, since I'm not done transferring what I need, but, just to see what the HP tech will say again, I chatted with yet another one (#5), not one of them was the same person. This time the tech said my CMOS battery must be malfunctioning. (I don't even know what a CMO battery looks like or what its for.) My time and date on the computer is correct, it hasn't been lagging or anything. The tech says it could be the cause of the computer not starting up. Now, I am not that bright in getting a computer fixed on my own, but something sounds fishy. I need to know if that is a possiblilty of causing the startup problems, before I even attempt to replace that CMOS battery.... tech said if it still can't start up, they'll figure out another angle. Could the CMOS battery be the cause?

The CMOS battery is only relevant when the machine is OFF.
Once you've got past the POST and validated the CMOS contents, the battery has no further use until the system is powered off.

> I stopped short of turning the computer off for the DIMM check, since I'm not done transferring what I need
You need to run memtest during the time when the machine seems to crash, ie, from bootup.

Oh, and "hawaii" in your room is still cold compared to the operating temperatures inside a normal PC.

The computer was turned off for 2 consecutive nights and it worked fine the next day, but this morning after the 3rd night off, it started up to the desktop and stalled before I could do anything else. Tried restarting again, a blue screen came on with the error IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL and then refused to do anything else. Turned it off again, tried to start it, no go. Decided to reset the bio chip, reset the 4 DIMM boards, and restart the computer again. It went on didn't stall or anything so I could get into this site to report it. I didn't change the CMOS battery since Salem said it wouldn't affect the startup.... what a mess on this computer!

Next time you get a BSOD like that, could you record all the data please? It usually lists specific problems, like a specific driver that causes the BSOD & a chunk of other stuff, it's perhaps good to get a picture. (It *might* lead us somewhere)

However I think it's very possibly the PSU, I'd say try another PSU, I'm having to say that alot lately but every so often a chunk of people end up having PSU problems, like a spike in occurence or something. They usually go undetected as people think of PSU as reliable & as long as the computer turns on they then rarely think of the PSU as a potential problem. I'd say try it, it may save you much more headache! :)

Hi Guys
Thanks for all the tips, I think my computer decided to work real well since I reset the DIMM 9 days ago, I can turn it off and on now with no problems. You guys Rock! Thanks a lot.

commented: Congrats on getting going - please mark the thread "solved" +35

So resetting the DIMMs worked, I'm glad to hear that it's working as it should again. Should mark this thread as solved. :)

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.