While installing Windows XP SP3, you receive the following error:

Windows XP Service Pack 3 installation failed.
Access is denied.

Resolution:

1. Backup the Registry

2. If subinacl.exe is not installed, download and install it.

Link: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=e8ba3e56-d8fe-4a91-93cf-ed6985e3927b&displaylang=en

3. Create a file called reset.cmd with Notepad. Copy the text below into the file reset.cmd and run reset.cmd from an account with administrative privileges:

Windows XP Home Edition:

cd /d "%ProgramFiles%\Windows Resource Kits\Tools"
subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE /grant=administrators=f /grant=system=f
subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_CURRENT_USER /grant=administrators=f /grant=system=f
subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT /grant=administrators=f /grant=system=f
subinacl /subdirectories %SystemDrive% /grant=administrators=f /grant=system=f
subinacl /subdirectories %windir%\*.* /grant=administrators=f /grant=system=f

Regards,
Avinash P.

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

Better. Dont be sneaky though, all the blue text is a hyperlink to your site. Edited. Also let me remind you its illegal to host subinacl.exe on your own site, its microsoft copyrighted software. This resolution also works for older service packs like SP2 which give the same error.

this thread is also applicable to X{SP2 issue

<Fake sig removed>

Stop posting fake signatures and links t your site. Infracted and Editied. Check the rules.

Do not manually post "fake" signatures in your posts. Instead, you may create a sitewide signature within the user control panel. Posts must contain actual content and substance and cannot simply be external links.

Do not spam, advertise, plug your website, or engage in any other type of self promotion. To encourage open, unbiased (incentive-free) discussion, it is prohibited to refer to sites you own or are affiliated with

No affiliate links are permitted anywhere within DaniWeb (except within forum signatures). Self-promotion links are permitted within forum signatures provided they do not contradict with any other sitewide rules, such as inappropriate language or content.

this thread is also applicable to X{SP2 issue

<Fake sig removed>

hey its not a fave !!! signature and besides , guess u and crunchie in specific have no logic together , u clear the idea then he comes on jumping and once i fix that u have a probelm kindly maintain the same pace .. i respect ur sentiments a moderator but ur rules clearly read...
''Self-promotion links are permitted within forum signatures provided they do not contradict with any other sitewide rules, such as inappropriate language or content.''

so plz help me with a better idea and besides the site that is reffered is not for promotion but for help for the forum users further .. u all make money with n's of advertisements .. which is so obvious and annoyingly interfereing.. but nevertheless... my signature or anything is open and obviuos , sad to see that i just keep gettings infractions but no welcome or encouragement to contribute better...

It is a fake signature because you manually added it to the post instead of setting it as a signiture in your user control panel.

The post i approved via pm, and the post you actually posted were two different things. One had repeated links to your site, the other didnt. The exact text of the PM i approved was:

Correct “Access Denied” Error While Installing Windows XP SP3 Release Candidate 2

While installing Windows XP SP3, you receive the following error:

"Windows XP Service Pack 3 installation failed. - Access is denied"

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

Resolution:

1. Backup the Registry
2. If subinacl.exe is not installed, download and install subinacl.exe.
3. Create a file called reset.cmd with Notepad. Copy the text below into the file reset.cmd and run reset.cmd from an account with administrative privileges:

Windows XP Home Edition:

cd /d "%ProgramFiles%\Windows Resource Kits\Tools"
subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE /grant=administrators=f /grant=system=f
subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_CURRENT_USER /grant=administrators=f /grant=system=f
subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT /grant=administrators=f /grant=system=f
subinacl /subdirectories %SystemDrive% /grant=administrators=f /grant=system=f
subinacl /subdirectories %windir%\*.* /grant=administrators=f /grant=system=f

That was fine, what you actually went and posted was not. The now-edited version is fine too.

Regards,
Jbennet

(THIS TEXT ABOVE IS AN EXAMPLE OF A FAKE SIGNATURE, THE TEXT BELOW IS A REAL ONE)

hey its not a fave !!! signature and besides , guess u and crunchie in specific have no logic together , u clear the idea then he comes on jumping and once i fix that u have a probelm kindly maintain the same pace .. i respect ur sentiments a moderator but ur rules clearly read...
''Self-promotion links are permitted within forum signatures provided they do not contradict with any other sitewide rules, such as inappropriate language or content.''

so plz help me with a better idea and besides the site that is reffered is not for promotion but for help for the forum users further .. u all make money with n's of advertisements .. which is so obvious and annoyingly interfereing.. but nevertheless... my signature or anything is open and obviuos , sad to see that i just keep gettings infractions but no welcome or encouragement to contribute better...

You need to abide by the rules that you agreed to when you signed up to Daniweb.
http://www.daniweb.com/forums/faq.php?faq=daniweb_policies

No leet speak.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.