Member Avatar for unruggeo

Hi!

I know a few threads have treated this subject but couldn't find the answer I needed in any of them.
Ok, I''ll expose the situation.
Fixing a friend's computer and it's absolutely slow. To the point when starting task manager takes 10 minutes.
It's so slow (even in safe mode) that I can't run even run basic tasks like Defrag. It still has lots of free disk space, it's only running a few processes (9 actually) but extemely sloooooow.
Does anyone have any tips on where to start to get it running a bit faster just so that I can run a virus scan or something?

Thanks!

Recommended Answers

All 8 Replies

hi for starters try going to start/run/msconfig. go startup ,and try antagonistic start up ,reboot and see if you can run a scan .
i also suggest this program .

Download Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware (http://www.majorgeeks.com/Malwarebytes_Anti-Malware_d5756.html) to your desktop.

* Double-click mbam-setup.exe and follow the prompts to install the program.
* At the end, be sure to checkmark the Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, then click Finish.
* If an update is found, it will download and install the latest version.
* Download the update from here if you have problems.
* Once the program has loaded, select Perform full scan, then click Scan.
* When the scan is complete, click OK, then Show Results to view the results.
* Be sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.
* When completed, a log will open in Notepad.
* Post the log back here.

The log can also be found here:
C:\Documents and Settings\Username\Application Data\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\Logs\log-date.txt
Or at C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\Logs\log-date.txt

Make sure that you restart the computer.

Member Avatar for b1izzard

Hi!

I know a few threads have treated this subject but couldn't find the answer I needed in any of them.
Ok, I''ll expose the situation.
Fixing a friend's computer and it's absolutely slow. To the point when starting task manager takes 10 minutes.
It's so slow (even in safe mode) that I can't run even run basic tasks like Defrag. It still has lots of free disk space, it's only running a few processes (9 actually) but extemely sloooooow.
Does anyone have any tips on where to start to get it running a bit faster just so that I can run a virus scan or something?

Thanks!

1. Boot in safemode.
2. Goto Add/remove programs and uninstall unwanted softwares
3. Don't run Two or more 'antiviruses' at sametime.
4. goto start->Run->type 'msconfig' and a window appears in that select startup and uncheck the unwanted startup entries.
5. Do the defragmentation, junk file cleaning and error checking using windows utilities.

Ok guys , thanks for the tips I'll try that!

Now the task bar doesn't want to show up but I can still open files.
Is there anywhere to find the "Run" tool other than in the start menu?

also ,www.ccleaner.com is a good program to remove temp file and cleanup the registry

I know this one but unfortunately internet would be too slow and the usbs plugs are too. Got to do whatever's possible with the tools already existant.
Got a bunch of problems. Tells me the uninstaller tool cannot be used in safe mode or it hasn't been properly installed. Ahem...

I know this one but unfortunately internet would be too slow and the usbs plugs are too. Got to do whatever's possible with the tools already existant.
Got a bunch of problems. Tells me the uninstaller tool cannot be used in safe mode or it hasn't been properly installed. Ahem...

what are the specs on the computer ,maybe its time to toss it and upgrade

unistall program usually need to be done in full mode ,via the add and remove program in control panel/.
go to start and run,type in msconfig, and check of diagnostic startup ,reboot and try unistalling program .
right click on the harddrive icon in mycomputer and go tools and do a disk cleanup.
you are just going to have to bite the bullet and let it take the time it need to do these thing ,or you are just wasting out time , good luck and have a good day !

What are your computer specs ; Laptop or PC, Ram, video memory, PSU Output.. CPU
Is it Dell or Compaq?

Example -
2.66 ghz CPU / 512mb Ram /128 mb Video / 450 Watt PSU

Ok guys , thanks for the tips I'll try that!

Now the task bar doesn't want to show up but I can still open files.
Is there anywhere to find the "Run" tool other than in the start menu?

Use the Key combination of 'Windows+R' to get 'Run'....As caperjack has mentioned, Ccleaner will be very useful in this kinda situation..
The Other tool you will need after the MBAM scan are TrendMicro HijackThis and Microsoft Malicious Software Removal Tool 2.10....Try getting them from a Friends place if possible...

After The MBAM scan suggested by Caperjack Reboot.... Then Download TrendMicro HijackThis
*Install it, Run it and click on 'Run a scan and save a logfile'
*After the scan you will get a notepad window with the scan results, Save it.
* Post both the MBAM and HJT logs back here...

CCleaner
Download Ccleaner, Install it, Open it...
Under the 'Cleaner' Section select all in the 'Windows' And 'Applications' Tab, Then click on 'Analyze' And then 'Run Cleaner'...
Do The Same In The 'Registry' Tab, i.e. 'Scan For Issues' and 'Fix Selected Issues', It will ask you to make a backup, DO IT...Then Click on 'Fix All'...Now Reboot The Pc..

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.