I had created a Notepad kind of text editor using Visual C# 2008 Express Edition. When I save a text file through it, and when I click the icon of the text file I saved, it opens in Windows Default Notepad. Is it possible that I can make my text editor the default text editor.
I am using Windows Vista and XP and so please mention which OS is the solution for.
-themaster

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

You should be able to do that by changing the Registry. Remember: Google is your friend.

You should be able to do that by changing the Registry. Remember: Google is your friend.

I tried doing a Google search but did not get any satisfactory results.
OR if you are trying to tell me about a Google product, can you please tell it's name.

Hi

Right click the text file click open with select choose default program then select browse and navigate to your program and select it make sure you check the box always use this program in the future.

Its a good idea to put you .exe in a safe place like the system folder not the desktop because if you move it later windows wont know where to find the file.

Hi

Right click the text file click open with select choose default program then select browse and navigate to your program and select it make sure you check the box always use this program in the future.

Its a good idea to put you .exe in a safe place like the system folder not the desktop because if you move it later windows wont know where to find the file.

I tried it. The text file icon when clicked opens my notepad text editor but the contents of the file are not displayed in the Textbox of my notepad.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.