Nikilet 0 Newbie Poster

I am running Vista Home Premium on a Dell XPS 410 with 2GB RAM, Core 2 Duo, DSL connection.

Before installing Kodak EasyShare software for my camera and printer dock, to make sure there were no problems I went to msconfig, selected Services, checked "Hide all Microsoft Services" and then selected "Disable all." I went to Start Up and selected "Disable all" -- then restarted and proceeded to first install Quick Time Player (because the EasyShare software needs it) and then installed EasyShare and my computer did an auto restart.

I then went back to msconfig and selected "Normal Start" and restarted again to get my security programs and such back up and running and there were no problems with either of these restarts. Except that after that the Intel Viiv was included in the start up programs so I went back to msconfig/Start Up and unselected the Intel Viiv.

I downloaded the pictures from my camera into the EasyShare and then did some other work. I decided to restart to make sure I had that Intel Viiv still disabled and ended up with nothing but a black screen. I tried to restart 3 times and on the third try kept hitting the F8 key and finally got that options screen and selected Start Up Repair. After it ran I got a screen that said Windows couldn't repair, that if I had connected a camera or other device to my computer to disconnect it and try restarting again. I also read the report on the Start Up Repair and everything checked out fine until at the very end I think it said something about a device driver and an error code of 0x2.

I unplugged my Kodak camera and camera dock from the computer and restarted and it booted normally. But if it's the camera, why did it restart fine after the software was installed, and then again after I went into msconfig and selected Normal Start Up?

There's only one thing I thought strange. When the computer restarted automatically after the software install, I then plugged my camera/camera dock in and it downloaded a device driver, a little download box came up with the name of my camera and then it said everything was ready to use. After I went to the msconfig, selected Normal Start Up and restarted it did the same thing again -- said it was installing a device driver and that little download box came up and said the device was ready to use. I didn't think that should have happened again after it had already run through that process.

Can anyone tell me what might have happened here?