Hi,

I was wondering if anyone could tell me why I can't start windows in safe mode?

Thanks

Recommended Answers

All 11 Replies

Only if you can tell me how long a piece of string is :eek:

To start of with, when you boot your PC, it goes through a process called poweron self test, POST. During this time, and before it thinks about loading Windows you need to press F8 feverishly until a list of recovery type options appear.

In this list is Safe Mode, with or without extra options. Assuming you have got this far and it wont boot into safe mode from here, one of two things have happened. Either your OS Build is the proverbial knackered, or Safe Mode is disabled.

I assume you can get into Windows Normally, so I shall try and deal with the latter. Turn off, and on, press F2 lots, you will enter BIOS. BIOSs are different, but you may find a setting in there.

Also in 95,98,ME, using watchdog

http://watchdogpc.com/help-options-windowsenvironment.shtml

I spent a while on google, and can't find anything about a disable in XP, or W2k, if you have one of the above, then maybe you have a bad sys file, what OS are you running, why do you need safe mode?

Hi,

Thanks for your reply. I'm running XP pro.

I need safe mode so I can run virus removal stuff, as It seems something infected me. My computer is new, I've only just got it so was abit annoyed when things started going wrong straight away!

When I press F8 then select safe mode, the sceen just goes black and lots of rows of dos commands appear, scrolling down. Hope that makes sense, not to hot with the whole computer lingo thing (well just computers really)

I will look in Bios as you suggest and see if I can find anything.

Thankyou!

It is normal to see those lines scrolling across. What happens when you see those lines scrolling by? Do you reboot the system or do you let it finish?

If you let it sit there, does it hang for a few minutes after a certain point? If so, there may be a file problem somewhere. If the system freezes at a certain point, what is the last line of text that you see?

commented: good suggestions, MMF +1

Thanks for your reply. I've been away working. Have now resolved the problem with the help of my father. Many thanks.

Sam

How did he rexolve the problem for those of us who are curious as to what your problem was.

Marty...the length of string can be found by multiplying two acres squared by the radious of a rectangle and then devided by weight of an angstrom.

;)

You might want to check this useful tool, Safe Mode Fixer

http://www.moonvalleysoft.com/product_info.php?products_id=29

i had the same problem, MoonValleySoft.com guys have been very kind and most important thing it worked.
Safe mode boot back and installed the antivurs.

cheers

Hi,

Thanks for your reply. I'm running XP pro.

I need safe mode so I can run virus removal stuff, as It seems something infected me. My computer is new, I've only just got it so was abit annoyed when things started going wrong straight away!

When I press F8 then select safe mode, the sceen just goes black and lots of rows of dos commands appear, scrolling down. Hope that makes sense, not to hot with the whole computer lingo thing (well just computers really)

I will look in Bios as you suggest and see if I can find anything.

Thankyou!

I am having a similar problem stating safe mode. After selceting safe mode the screen freezes on the file . . . system 32\drivers\mup.sys

Can anyone tell me what is wrong?

most likely it is a virus type attack preventing safe mode from starting. if you can get into windows(normal) mode, run malwarebytes.org anti-malware on it. anything that it cannot remove then and there it will remove on the next boot. (basically the same as safe mode). once it is finished the reboot, safemode will likely work again, too. if neither is working then

a. slave the hdd to another pc and run AV software over it
b. run windows repair (if you have hte original winXP disks) but i recommend slaving it and backing up your stuff first.

if you don't understand that, please ask. it is easy enough to do.

most likely it is a virus type attack preventing safe mode from starting. if you can get into windows(normal) mode, run malwarebytes.org anti-malware on it. anything that it cannot remove then and there it will remove on the next boot. (basically the same as safe mode). once it is finished the reboot, safemode will likely work again, too. if neither is working then

a. slave the hdd to another pc and run AV software over it
b. run windows repair (if you have hte original winXP disks) but i recommend slaving it and backing up your stuff first.

if you don't understand that, please ask. it is easy enough to do.

Hi,
This information to slave the hhd I would appreciate, I seen to have the same problem and have felt it was a virus, but norton anti virus didn't seem to stop it even though I keep it up to date.
Thanks again
Kirk

the trick with slaving is that you need a second PC. you take your hard drive out of your PC and plug it into someone else's - then you can access it as if it was just another file on their PC. there are plenty of walkthroughs for this on the net, just make sure it is all nplugged from the wall first, and remember that all the cords etc can only physically be plugged on one way, so you should be fine. there are two types of hdd connectors, so yo will have to find the right type of PC. Pata or Sata. then grab everything off the PC and back it up while you can.

run AV over it as normal, along with chkdsk (start-my computer-<rightclick your drive>-properties-tools tab-error checking, select both boxes, then ok,ok, and manually restart your PC)

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.