My laptop went into a perfectly normal Update and restart, but it didn't restart right. When it did restart it was black screen and then a window popped up and tried to "repair" whatever it is that's wrong, when that didn't work it let me try a system restore and restart, but that didn't work properly either! Now the only thing I ever get is a black screen! Can someone tell me what is going on?

Recommended Answers

All 11 Replies

ONLY a black screen? NOTHING else? like, you can't even see the boot screen, can't see a splash seen or ANYTHING loading?

and what company brand you using? Acer? HP?

It's a toshiba. and it has a boot screen for a half-second then goes to black and just stays there!

I see...you might want to use your DVD to try and repair or restore the computer...if you haven't already tried that...cause I'm sure it has something to do with a recent update you did...

I'll try that, what if it doesn't work?

I've had that problem occur on my dad's vista laptop...it was so horrible that the only solution I came up with was to reinstall the computer because the update destroyed the computer...

but if that doesn't work...which I hope does, you can try to use the disk to perform an upgrade...which will reinstall vista but keep your files...

if worse comes to worse...than you can download Linux Ubuntu Live CD, write it on a CD, and boot up linux using the CD and run it...it will run just like real windows (a bit slower since it's on cd) and you will be able to access your hard drive...than you can copy all your personal files from the hard drive to an external or flash drive and reinstall vista...

but go with the first step first...the computer might just restore...don't forget to do both repair and restore...try REPAIR first...THAN do RESTORE if repair fails to work and restart your computer...

return to windows 7 likely as do not feel comfortable with vista

Try F8 and offer to load Standard VGA Mode and then either

1. update your graphics driver

2. roll back to the previous working one (you probably installed a new one from Windows Update)

3. or plug in a new graphics card

it's a laptop, and his boot screen stays half a second before the screen goes blank...so I don't see how he can do any of the above...unless there is someway to just plug in a graphics card on a laptop...

After updating Parallels Desktop, Windows Vista OS doesn't boot properly and displays a black screen only.

1. Start Windows Vista in Safe Mode (Press F8 key during the boot-up process and choose Safe Mode from the list).

2. Uninstall Parallels Tools

* From the Windows Start menu, choose Control Panel > Add or remove programs.
* Select Parallels Tools and click Remove.

3. Restart the Windows Vista OS.

I'd say to try safemode, if that doesn't work a Repair install is your best bet.

If that doesn't work you'll probably need to just do a fresh installation formatting the hard drive. That will fix ANY software problem, but if at all possible you should get your date backed up first.

My laptop went into a perfectly normal Update and restart, but it didn't restart right. When it did restart it was black screen and then a window popped up and tried to "repair" whatever it is that's wrong, when that didn't work it let me try a system restore and restart, but that didn't work properly either! Now the only thing I ever get is a black screen! Can someone tell me what is going on?

Thats the same thing that has happened to every one i know who has used Vista, typical of people to go onto it, i didn't and that was the result...

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.