Hi,

I have recently upgraded to Windows7 RC 1700 And loving it but when I install Ubuntu inside Windows7 it does not give me the option to choose which OS I want to boot.

When I had Vista it always gave me the option during booting up right before the first wimdows screen.

This is some what frustrating, Some help would be greatly appreciated

Contributors
Replies
Views
8 Years
Discussion Span
Last Post by Gnotemeal

I have uninstalled Ubuntu from Windows and run windows 7 manager and cleaned the registry, rebooted and reinstalled Ubuntu again and I am still having the same issue

Which Ubuntu are your installing. When I installed version 7.10, it was like music to my ears - it installed itself. When I tried version 8.10, it was a complete waste of time.

Having said that, you need to install the master boot loader from Ubuntu (NOT Windows) and it will allow you to select your OS from there.

Usually Ubuntu take's control with the booting, but i think you may be able to boot into ubuntu if you do something with sys.exe -> Boot.
Also check Ubuntu's webpage. They may have a newer version for Windows 7 Dual Booting. Because Windows always wants to take control :/

Which Ubuntu are your installing. When I installed version 7.10, it was like music to my ears - it installed itself. When I tried version 8.10, it was a complete waste of time.

Having said that, you need to install the master boot loader from Ubuntu (NOT Windows) and it will allow you to select your OS from there.

I am Installing Ubuntu 8.10. This worked fine with Vista (suprisingly enough) but does not work with Windows 7 (also suprising). I am selecting the option to install inside windows as i did before.

I have managed to get the Boot menu up and it does not even show that there is another OS installed on the system.

How do I install the master boot loader?

The master boot record is installed as part of Ubuntu. It gives you a selection of which OS you want to boot into. Really, though, try Ubuntu version 7.10!

This topic has been dead for over six months. Start a new discussion instead.
Have something to contribute to this discussion? Please be thoughtful, detailed and courteous, and be sure to adhere to our posting rules.