Hi,
I'm actually new to this site and haven't posted here before, so I'm not sure if I'm posting in the right area, but I have a problem that I have been trying to fix for awhile.
I have an 500GB SimpleTech PininFarina external hard drive and whenever I try to open it I get this message: "G:\ Access is denied." It just began appearing suddenly about 2 weeks ago. I hadn't installed any new programs or anything. An d the weird thing is that I can still access the files through other programs, e.g. I have the Zune software and all of my music is on my external drive and I can still play the music through the Zune program even though I can't access the drive.
I have tried running the computer in SafeMode to access the Security tab and add the User to the allowed users list (or something like that.) Yet, I still can't access it.
Please Help,
Rechard

Recommended Answers

All 10 Replies

Please Help, I'm really not sure what to do at this point and as I have searched the internet I haven't found a solution.

Tried check disk?
Try something like this (Assuming F is your drive)
chkdsk F: /f
try and see

sorry I'm not that computer savvy; do I input that in run... or something else and i've done an error check, if that is the same thing and it still doesn't work. And i'v also found out that i can access it through the folders side tab. I just can't access the drive (G:\) in my computer and I cant open up the control panel. When I try to open the control panel, explorer shuts down. I've run my virus sweeper (Webroot Antivirus) and it didn't find anything. Any idea about what might be wrong?

to use chkdsk..you need to go to command prompt..like go to start->run->then type cmd then enter.. the command prompt window will appear..you type the chkdsk command..
but have you tried using malware bytes...

to use chkdsk..you need to go to command prompt..like go to start->run->then type cmd then enter.. the command prompt window will appear..you type the chkdsk command..
but have you tried using malware bytes...

I did the disk check and it still doesn't work. My brother installed malwarebytes before but it was on my old external hdd that broke. Is the program free? If not, it's not currently an option for me.

hello
yes this is why it is alway important to have enough free HD space in more than one place .... you should copy the files to a seperate location on another HD reformat the drive and then recopy the info back to the drive. it sounds like you had a virus (the same kind you get on a flash drive) when your system removed the virus and or the autorun.* file your icon should have also changed to a yellow folder icon rather than a drive icon, you can continue to use the drive by exploring it or opening it through iexplorer but to use the normal open button you will have to reformat it
hope it helps
barry

hello
yes this is why it is alway important to have enough free HD space in more than one place .... you should copy the files to a seperate location on another HD reformat the drive and then recopy the info back to the drive. it sounds like you had a virus (the same kind you get on a flash drive) when your system removed the virus and or the autorun.* file your icon should have also changed to a yellow folder icon rather than a drive icon, you can continue to use the drive by exploring it or opening it through iexplorer but to use the normal open button you will have to reformat it
hope it helps
barry

Alright I guess I'll just format it. Luckily my mom has an external that's basically empty, so I'll just use that to temporarily store the files. And it did change from a hard drive icon to a folder icon. The funny thing is it uses a folder icon for my mom's drive as well but hers is fully accessible. I'm not sure why I didn't think of just reformatting it in the first place. Thanks for you help; I'm going to reformat it tonight.

The funny thing is it uses a folder icon for my mom's drive as well but hers is fully accessible.

the virus might have been cleaned not deleted on your moms pc
barry

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.