i am running vista 32 bit. everything has been upated,i even downloaded the latest update for defender today,but still every time i try to start defender i get this message. aplication failed to initialize: 0x800106ba. A problem caused this program's service to stop. to start the service,restart your computer or search help and support for how to start a service manually. tried the restart first,didn't work. then tried searching help and support and couldn't find how to start a service manually. i've been working for two days to correct this and now i'm just plain frustrated. i hope someone on here can help me. i did read on here where someone else had defender problems,but that solution didn't work for me. thank you

Recommended Answers

All 12 Replies

Winkey+R
Enter services.msc - hit enter
Scroll down to Windows Defender and check to see if is Startup Type is set to Automatic (delayed start)... if not, correct the setting.

Also be aware that a number of AV suites will disable defender to avoid the conflicts that can arise running over-lapping processes.

thank you! maybe my av has a conflict with defender. btw i couldn't set defender to automatic (delayed start) the parameters were wrong? so i set it to automatic. either way it still won't run,so maybe it is my av. we'll see. again thanks for the info.

Winkey+R
Enter services.msc - hit enter
Scroll down to Windows Defender and check to see if is Startup Type is set to Automatic (delayed start)... if not, correct the setting.

Also be aware that a number of AV suites will disable defender to avoid the conflicts that can arise running over-lapping processes.

thank you! maybe my av has a conflict with defender. btw i couldn't set defender to automatic (delayed start) the parameters were wrong? so i set it to automatic. either way it still won't run,so maybe it is my av. we'll see. again thanks for the info.
:)

Sounds good. Would still recommend DL'ing MalwareBytes and giving your system the once over just to be sure, but if defender is the only service switched, it doesn't automatically ring the alarm-bells.

What AV are you running anyhow?

i am running mcafee security center version 9.11. the mcafee virus scan version 13.11 and mcafee personal firewall version 10.11. all of thes are currently up to date.

Far from the best choice of AV suites/options, but am almost certain that McAfee's "security center" does disable Windows Defender, for the reasons explained above.

Hello,
Why use WinDef while have McAfee?
As far as I know, McAfee hav its own antispyware and there is no need to use multiple AS. So just disable one of them and I advice you disable WinDef

Hello,
Why use WinDef while have McAfee?
As far as I know, McAfee hav its own antispyware and there is no need to use multiple AS. So just disable one of them and I advice you disable WinDef

thanks for the input i just got used to using WinDef when i was using another anti virus etc. just on a trial basis since it came with my machine. i wasn't aware until i posted my problem that some antivirus progs. cancel out WinDef. i'm still pretty new at this comp. stuff. i know enough to get by and for the rest i just start asking questions.

thanks for the input i just got used to using WinDef when i was using another anti virus etc. just on a trial basis since it came with my machine. i wasn't aware until i posted my problem that some antivirus progs. cancel out WinDef. i'm still pretty new at this comp. stuff. i know enough to get by and for the rest i just start asking questions.

No probs... we all start somewhere :)

thanks again for your help kaninelupus have a good one. :)

NP :)

There was a man who travelled thousands of miles away. And he started at home. Isn't home 0 miles :)
Learning means asking then trying yourself.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.