Problem just cropped up in the past two or three days. I lost the ability to get online through Internet Exploreror and AOL software. The hardware manager showed some sort of issue with the ethernet adapter and indicated "device cannot start (code 10)".The system is a Dell Dimension 4400 hardwired to a Linksys wireless router which is fed froma Sprint 660 dsl modem. Wireless laptop on the same network has no problem. Since it was a fairly cheap experiment, I installed a replacement Netgear adapter. No change.The tech from Netgear confirmed the system pings as though it has internet accessand suspects some sort of error with Internet Explorer or in the operating system. I note that I can't open Norton 360 and the tray at the bottomof the desktop doesn't show the programs normally in my start menu.

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

It is probably infected as Norton is rather poor at protecting a system.

Download Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware to your desktop.

* Double-click mbam-setup.exe and follow the prompts to install the program.
* At the end, be sure to checkmark the Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, then click Finish.
* If an update is found, it will download and install the latest version.
* Once the program has loaded, select Perform full scan, then click Scan.
* When the scan is complete, click OK, then Show Results to view the results.
* Be sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.
* When completed, a log will open in Notepad.
* Post the log back here.

Make sure that you restart the computer.

Problem just cropped up in the past two or three days. I lost the ability to get online through Internet Exploreror and AOL software. The hardware manager showed some sort of issue with the ethernet adapter and indicated "device cannot start (code 10)".The system is a Dell Dimension 4400 hardwired to a Linksys wireless router which is fed froma Sprint 660 dsl modem. Wireless laptop on the same network has no problem. Since it was a fairly cheap experiment, I installed a replacement Netgear adapter. No change.The tech from Netgear confirmed the system pings as though it has internet accessand suspects some sort of error with Internet Explorer or in the operating system. I note that I can't open Norton 360 and the tray at the bottomof the desktop doesn't show the programs normally in my start menu.

Hi DPendergraft,

This is Mike from the Norton Authorized Support Team.

If you have any other third-party, real-time security software installed alongside Norton 360, you could be experiencing a software conflict. Also, the Windows Firewall needs to be disabled, as the Norton Firewall will handle this for you. Having two firewalls running at the same time can cause connectivity issues. Check to make sure that there are no other security packages installed, and also make sure the Windows Firewall is disabled. I would also suggest that you download Firefox and see if you can access the internet using that browser.

The next step is to download, burn and run the Norton Recovery Tool. Please carefully follow the instructions in the following document.

Download and create a Norton 360 Recovery CD

Please try this process and let me know if any infections were found and if so, the names of the infections and if Norton was able to remove or quarantine them.

Thank you,
Mike

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.