I am hestitant to use IE 6 unless it is absolutley necessary. I usually use netscape or msn explorer. In my opinion IE is just to exploited. Now, for my question.... When I visit certain sites I have noticed that certain things get changed on my computer. Usually its just a browser home page, but, lately I have seen these sites install software without my approval. THe one that I have problems with is a piece of software called nCase, its spyware. I use spybot to detect most of the culprits. What can I change in my security settings to stop this from happening and still be able to serve the web without all the pop up boxes asking me if its ok to run scripts on this and boxes as such. I have DSL service and I also use the MN 100 broadband router. I use XP home as my OS. Any help would be appreciated. Sorry if this a nOOb question, butm we all start somewhere.

Thanks in advance!

razor--

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

well if your using MSN your using ie with a "pretty" skin

get away from NS and use Mozilla or Firebird (lite version of mozi)FB has a built in popup blocker, if you dont want AX secturity popups change the settings for IE in the advanced tab to never ask

i have almost no spyware (cept the rare few i keep on my pc for a few programs) and its because i dont go aroudn the web searcing for stupid stuff and i dont go to sites with popup ads :P

When I visit certain sites I have noticed that certain things get changed on my computer. Usually its just a browser home page, but, lately I have seen these sites install software without my approval. THe one that I have problems with is a piece of software called nCase, it's spyware. I use spybot to detect most of the culprits.

Spybot - Search & Destroy has an "immunize" option. Use it; it works pretty well in deflecting many scumware installations. Make sure it's up-to-date.

Another useful thing is to look at IE's History function, accessed with the [Ctrl]+[H] keypress combo. By looking at where you have been, a pattern may emerge if the same malware keeps popping up.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.