Start New Discussion within our Microsoft Windows Community

Some of my WinXP laptops, after they have been undocked and booted into cached credentials far from home, take forever to log in when they get home - as ANY user. The slowness happens just after the user enters their credentials, but before the user log in process dialog pops up. So they are left staring at a grayed out log in dialog for several minutes.

This is what I have found:
- Disconnected from the network, the computer logs in speedily.
- If the computer is logged into, then logged out, then logged into again without shutting down it functions normally.
- If the computer is dissociated from the domain and then rejoined, it works fine until the computer is undocked and booted. Then when it is returned it is slow again.
- No abnormal slowness is apparent after log in.
- The first DNS server is the DHCP server and the DC. There are 4 others, 2 of ours on a pretty fast connection and 2 are our ISP's.
- Disabling the wireless network adapter for boot solves the problem, but my users aren't comfortable disabling and re-enabling their W-NICs every time they leave the office.
- Reinstalling the wlan card driver fixed the problem temporarily.
- The presence of preferred wireless networks or not does not make a difference - they use hard wire exclusively while in the office, but there is a wireless network they should be configured to connect to manually only.
- All the machines are using the latest updates, including the DC (Win 2k3)
- the users have both mapped drives and mapped printers - which are valid and on the same set of switches.