Greetings,
I have Keylog Briss and I think I got rid of it quick. HOwever, worst case scenario is that I may have logged on to a few of my important sites and used my names and passwords. Like I said, I think I got rid of it. Do I need to change all my passwords and how do I make sure I got rid of it? McAffee has only one file out of the poriginal ten. It is a restore file found in C:\system volume information. The file is restore and then a bunch of numbers and letters. What is the severity and damage? I keep running checks. How do I fix it? I'm scared I'm set up to be a victim of identity theft or is the threat pretty low? I'm running windows xp with service pack 1.
Thanks,
Brian

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

I'm not sure of the severity of that virus. However it is definitely a good idea to change all your passwords. I would change them every few months anyways. Especially if you have any sensitive information on the net. In addition, clear out all of your old restore points from System Restore. (System Restore is the Windows Me/XP feature that lets you rollback your computer to a previous time, and that is what I'm pretty sure that "restore" file you found is related to.) To to this go into System Properties (right click on My Computer) and go to the System Restore tab. Uncheck system restore, click apply, and then recheck it. That should clear out all old system restore points. You won't be able to restore your computer to a time earlier than today, but, then again, if you had a virus, why would you want to? ;)

Greetings,
I have Keylog Briss and I think I got rid of it quick. HOwever, worst case scenario is that I may have logged on to a few of my important sites and used my names and passwords. Like I said, I think I got rid of it. Do I need to change all my passwords and how do I make sure I got rid of it? McAffee has only one file out of the poriginal ten. It is a restore file found in C:\system volume information. The file is restore and then a bunch of numbers and letters. What is the severity and damage? I keep running checks. How do I fix it? I'm scared I'm set up to be a victim of identity theft or is the threat pretty low? I'm running windows xp with service pack 1.
Thanks,
Brian

Brian did it work to clear out all of your old restore points from System Restore? I have that virus too, and it is really scaring me.
Linda

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.