sir,
can anybody tell me .what is the uses of archiving in outlook express.Kindly let me know the idea.any help would be highly
appreciated.

Member Avatar for Wazzza95

sir,
can anybody tell me .what is the uses of archiving in outlook express.Kindly let me know the idea.any help would be highly
appreciated.

Assuming you don't delete ALL your messages after a period of time (eg six months), the file containing your messages will slowly grow in size.

I archived my e-mail for the first time last year (I use Outlook 2003) and the reason was Outlook had become slow to run. I Archived everything earlier than the beginning of the previous year (about 4 years worth). The file went from about 350MB to under 70MB.

That did the trick. Outlook became usable again, and if I need to, I can still access the old e-mails for old jokes, old addresses of "forgotten" friends, and the like.

I expect Outlook Express would work in a similar way, but I'd turn off automatic archiving, and run it manually every six months or so.

Just remember where you put the archived file. Outlook stores its mail file in a hidden directory, and the Archived file will probably end up there too. The Archive can be opened as a second data file that you can browse the messages like your main store.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.