I'm just about at my wits end with Outlook 2003. We have an Exchange server at work and I'm using it to read email. Nothing really unusual about my setup - I check mail on my exchange account and I also check email on three other pop accounts, however, I have the mail delivered all to the same inbox on the Exchange server.

Outlook seems to do a fair job of catching actual spam and moving it to the Junk E-mail folder. It misses some, but not a lot. The problem is, it constantly moves messages from people on my safe senders list to the junk mail. The documentation for Outlook specifically says that messages from a.) people in my contacts folder, b.) people from my internal domain, and c.) people on my safe senders list, will never, ever get flagged as junk mail. Yet they are! It seems to happen most on replies. Like, I email someone internal, and they reply to me, and even though they're in the domain (and in my contacts, and manually entered as a safe sender just for good measure), their message gets moved to junk email.

ARRRGGGHH!! Our IT services dept. is stumped on this, though they suspect it might be because there are people here who aren't all using the Exchange server yet. Unfortunately we're not real tight on standards and people access their email using a variety of tools and platforms. But still...whether someone emails me from a Mac or a PC, using Exchange or using POP, it shouldn't matter - if they're on my safe senders list, why is their message flagged as junk mail?

Every time I search Microsoft's site for this problem, I get the standard articles that say "messages from your internal domain will never be flagged as spam" etc., etc. Lies, LIES I tell you! I'm really starting to lose my mind here. Any ideas?

I've had the exact same problem using OL2003 with a POP account. I've also made both the domain of my organization "safe" as well as individuals' email addresses yet they keep showing up in the junk folder. This happens with emails from people from my organization as well as with some lists I'm on even though I've made them safe. I've posted this question on Microsoft's Outlook General Questions forum (start at http://support.microsoft.com/newsgroups/) but no answer yet.--AdamR

I'm just about at my wits end with Outlook 2003. We have an Exchange server at work and I'm using it to read email. Nothing really unusual about my setup - I check mail on my exchange account and I also check email on three other pop accounts, however, I have the mail delivered all to the same inbox on the Exchange server.

Outlook seems to do a fair job of catching actual spam and moving it to the Junk E-mail folder. It misses some, but not a lot. The problem is, it constantly moves messages from people on my safe senders list to the junk mail. The documentation for Outlook specifically says that messages from a.) people in my contacts folder, b.) people from my internal domain, and c.) people on my safe senders list, will never, ever get flagged as junk mail. Yet they are! It seems to happen most on replies. Like, I email someone internal, and they reply to me, and even though they're in the domain (and in my contacts, and manually entered as a safe sender just for good measure), their message gets moved to junk email.

ARRRGGGHH!! Our IT services dept. is stumped on this, though they suspect it might be because there are people here who aren't all using the Exchange server yet. Unfortunately we're not real tight on standards and people access their email using a variety of tools and platforms. But still...whether someone emails me from a Mac or a PC, using Exchange or using POP, it shouldn't matter - if they're on my safe senders list, why is their message flagged as junk mail?

Every time I search Microsoft's site for this problem, I get the standard articles that say "messages from your internal domain will never be flagged as spam" etc., etc. Lies, LIES I tell you! I'm really starting to lose my mind here. Any ideas?

I have a similar problem and it's driving me crazy too. Mail from others in our small business is consistently marked as Junk even though I have used every option to make them Safe Senders.

This only starting happening when I moved to MS Outlook 2007.

Same problem for me at work. And we are all on the Exchange server for mail. I thought it was just MS 2003, but I had them upgrade me to MS 2007 and it is beginning to happen again! And these people are internal to our network. WEIRD and FRUSTRATING!

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.