Hey I finally finished my new system. The specs are in my signature.
I have Windows XP pro on a 40GB partion of a 60GB Maxtor SATA drive. I also have a 160GB Hitachi ATA drive divided into two partitions, 120GB (for storage and programs) and 40GB(for music only). First of all, is this an efficient set-up?

Also, is there a registry key that I can edit so that when I install a program the default path will be G:\Program Files\ instead of the C:\Program Files\ directory.

Contributors
Replies
Views
12 Years
Discussion Span
Last Post by Catweazle

Go to Run.
Type: regedit

Navigate to:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion

On the right side, find the string called ProgramFilesDir and modify it to the desired
path.

This way some of your programs default shortcuts wont work.

Well doesn't this just change the install path? Is shouldn't affect the shortcuts of installed programs, correct?

Windows programs like paint word pad or something like that will be affected .. I did this trick first using system mechanic and then by altering registry ... and some of my default program shortcuts didnt work ... but I think windows automatically finds the programs if we dont cancel the search dialog.

Windows programs like paint word pad or something like that will be affected .. I did this trick first using system mechanic and then by altering registry ... and some of my default program shortcuts didnt work ... but I think windows automatically finds the programs if we dont cancel the search dialog.

Thanks. Appreciate the help.

I was not suggesting you move the default c:\program files ,My suggestion was meant for creating a new default install folder on another drive or partition .leaving the c:\ one right where its at ,the new one just for programs you installed after installing Windows !

I was not suggesting you move the default c:\program files ,My suggestion was meant for creating a new default install folder on another drive or partition .leaving the c:\ one right where its at ,the new one just for programs you installed after installing Windows !

Yes Caperjack, thats what I wanted to do. I thought installed programs wouldn't be affected since they already have been installed. This should only manage the path new programs that I install.

Yes Caperjack, thats what I wanted to do. I thought installed programs wouldn't be affected since they already have been installed. This should only manage the path new programs that I install.

It sould i would think ,i only did this once and it was a few yrs ago and i don't remember having any problems !

This topic has been dead for over six months. Start a new discussion instead.
Have something to contribute to this discussion? Please be thoughtful, detailed and courteous, and be sure to adhere to our posting rules.