rockn01 0 Newbie Poster

My system crashed a couple days ago while I was responding to an e-mail. The computer locked up while I was typing then a message appeared that said there were several corrupted files and Windows had to close. My system automatically checks for viruses when retrieving e-mails. I didn't get any warnings about having one and I didn't open any attachments. When I rebooted, the same message came up and would not continue. I tried the "repair" on the Vista CD. That didn't help either. At that point I decided to do a system restore from my backup drive. I use Ghost 14. I used a restore point from about a week ago. When it completed and rebooted the system came back to normal. I checked most of my apps and they were all working fine. I then decided to check to make sure all my updates were current and ran Windows Update. It showed that there were 13 new updates that needed to be downloaded. I downloaded them and installed them. When it completed it said to restart the computer. Here's where the problem occurred. As the computer shut down and went through the part 1 and 2 of configuring the updates, that went through without a problem. When the computer rebooted and started part 3 of the configuration it got to 44% then shut down on it's own. Then it kept going through the same loop. Reboot, 44%, then shutdown. The only way I was able to get it back was to run the system restore again. Does anyone know how I can repair this without having to completely reload everything? I'm running Vista 32 bit on an AMD processor. If you need more info, please let me know.