Daughter managed to get blue screen yesterday whilst playing game. Shut down then restarted today but after selecting XP Home edition it starts to run but quickly shows a blue screen and states "Checking file system on C: The type of the file system is FAT 32.
One of your disks needs to be checked for consistency. You may cancel the disk check, but it is recommended to continue, to skip press any key within 5 seconds".
Nothing then happens.
Tried SAFE mode but it just lists a few files and stops. If I try restore to previous configuration (think thats ight) it does gives same blue screeen.

Can I fix with XP disk? I do not have one as XP came with PC.

Please help!!

Thanks

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

Your PC ought to have had a restore disk with it or an OEM Windows disk (with the correct drivers).

You can try a repair with an XP disk - anything can happen - but if the PC can be online at the same time, then it can try and find the right drivers if necessary from the web.

But you have to get to the root of the problem. Something has destroyed a sector or block; either hard failure or corruption by a program.

With the XP disk you can at least boot to the command console (yes?). If you can't then you have a physical problem on the disk, I'd say. If you can, you'd want to run CHKSK. First without /F paramater so that you can assess what might be destroyed by /F. /F is supposed to mark bad blocks and repoint the disk block chain. But if the block is in the boot sector, you're going to have to FDISK the drive using the /MBR option to rewrite the boot sector; then format the drive and set Windows up again and hope that your internet access in the boot process can get the right drivers down.

Do search for a restore disk please. Some manufacturers put the recovery stuff onto a D: partition - quite useless if the HDD goes down.

Keep us posted.

Great thanks, I have a recovery disk and an operating system disk wich came with the machine. Do you think trying the XP disk first is best option? cannot get until tmrw.

Also cannot get as far as accessing the internet.

The recovery disk that came with the machine is the best bet. If it is a recovery disk and not an XP disk, you should stream your data off because the image on CD will be expanded to overwrite the hard disk. Then you'll have to re-establish your software apps.

start with safe mode
Start menu - all programs - accessories - system tools - system restore
then run system restore u get a screen with restore points date wise.
try above u may get result

regards
RAMESH

start with safe mode
Start menu - all programs - accessories - system tools - system restore
then run system restore u get a screen with restore points date wise.
try above u may get result

regards
RAMESH

JFINGERS said in his first post:
Tried SAFE mode but it just lists a few files and stops. If I try restore to previous configuration (think thats ight) it does gives same blue screeen.

So how will your suggestion work?

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.