I have a Windows XP Pro, laptop. It is a IBM Thinkpad T42, one gig of RAM.
The hard drive took a dump so I got another one. I took the XP Pro cd, inserted it and installed it.
It worked fine and then as I was setting up everything and it got to where ya enter the Product key, thats where my headaches began.
On the setup screen , it asks for me to enter the " Product Key". I looked on the bottom of the laptop where the COA sticjer is and put that 25 didgit code in. When I hit "next", an error message pops up and syas that " The cd KEYyou enetered is not valid".
I called Microsoft and they told me to call IBM. I called IBM and they said to call Microsoft, and BUY a new key.
Why would I have to buy a new key ? There is nothing wrong with the one on the bottom of the laptop ! All I did was put in a new hard drive ! I'm confused !!! I've never had to buy a key before when a hard drive went bad before.
Any suggestions ?

Recommended Answers

All 18 Replies

Try again to enter your key, it is highly likely that you have miss-typed the key. Recheck every number/letter. When you have your sticker on your machine with the key it should work, unless, you are not using the original CD that came with the PC.
Is the installation CD that you are using the one that was supplied when you got your PC or is it from another source?

Try again to enter your key, it is highly likely that you have miss-typed the key. Recheck every number/letter. When you have your sticker on your machine with the key it should work, unless, you are not using the original CD that came with the PC.
Is the installation CD that you are using the one that was supplied when you got your PC or is it from another source?

The disc is from a Dell product.... I think. I'm still trying to locate the one form this IBM product. I typed the KEY in correctly, I even used a magnafying glass....... my eyes arn't the best :)

The original OS CD should work when you find it.

Member Avatar for Dukane

The disc is from a Dell product.... I think. I'm still trying to locate the one form this IBM product. I typed the KEY in correctly, I even used a magnafying glass....... my eyes arn't the best :)

That there is your problem! Get the correct disk and you should be OK.

I'm not having any luck in finding the disc !

You can ask your friends if they have one or ask a small computer repair shop, as long as you use the disc for that machine it will not matter who's disc it is, just ensure that you enter the product key fro your PC.

I have a Windows XP Pro, laptop. It is a IBM Thinkpad T42, one gig of RAM.
The hard drive took a dump so I got another one. I took the XP Pro cd, inserted it and installed it.
It worked fine and then as I was setting up everything and it got to where ya enter the Product key, thats where my headaches began.
On the setup screen , it asks for me to enter the " Product Key". I looked on the bottom of the laptop where the COA sticjer is and put that 25 didgit code in. When I hit "next", an error message pops up and syas that " The cd KEYyou enetered is not valid".
I called Microsoft and they told me to call IBM. I called IBM and they said to call Microsoft, and BUY a new key.
Why would I have to buy a new key ? There is nothing wrong with the one on the bottom of the laptop ! All I did was put in a new hard drive ! I'm confused !!! I've never had to buy a key before when a hard drive went bad before.
Any suggestions ?

Call MS and explain to them the issue. Your hard drive died, you had to replace it and reinstall XP and now your key for that machine comes up not valid for activation. As long as you have all info from the sticker in case they ask, MS will most likely give you another key. I've done it a few times a couple years ago, same situation. They gave me a new key over the phone, no-charge.
Be calm, polite and act dumb.

Hope this helps

Don

Call MS and explain to them the issue. Your hard drive died, you had to replace it and reinstall XP and now your key for that machine comes up not valid for activation. As long as you have all info from the sticker in case they ask, MS will most likely give you another key. I've done it a few times a couple years ago, same situation. They gave me a new key over the phone, no-charge.
Be calm, polite and act dumb.

Hope this helps

Don

not the same thing,this poster cant even get winxp to install because he's using a dell disk on a ibm machine ,and the dell disk will not accept his key to continue with the install .
Dell disks are like that !

not the same thing,this poster cant even get winxp to install because he's using a dell disk on a ibm machine ,and the dell disk will not accept his key to continue with the install .
Dell disks are like that !

OK, from what he said, he had installed it and was working fine, til he went to activate it.
I had a friends PC I was working on about 2 years ago, it was a Dell, XP Home. Just for the fun of it, I took his disc and put it in my other home built, it installed without a hitch and I was able to use his key to activate it, but I didn't have to enter the key until I was online. Go figure.

The poster is a bit ambiguous, but I took it to mean that the installation was going fine until he was asked for the key.... not Windows was working fine until he was asked for the key...

some post here[daniweb ] are getting like reading the bible,all in the interpretation .lol

The one the other day with I loaded a cd over it and fixed but not working....something like that, it made as much sense anyway. lol

some post here[daniweb ] are getting like reading the bible,all in the interpretation .lol

The one the other day with I loaded a cd over it and fixed but not working....something like that, it made as much sense anyway. lol

Or this one???

27 Minutes Ago | Add Reputation Comment | Flag Bad Post
Simply,you may drive selected from CD can be read.......... Further format the existing window and start installation process, you will no problem and it will be working after completing step by step instruction

Or this one???

27 Minutes Ago | Add Reputation Comment | Flag Bad Post
Simply,you may drive selected from CD can be read.......... Further format the existing window and start installation process, you will no problem and it will be working after completing step by step instruction

and most ,if not all turn out to be just signature spam threads

Ok, to help clear this up......here is the correct answer:

The poster is a bit ambiguous, but I took it to mean that the installation was going fine until he was asked for the key.... not Windows was working fine until he was asked for the key...
I'm still looking for an IBM cd. I didn't get very far with MS, I even tried playing dunb, but that didn't seem to help !

There is nothing else we can offer. You need the correct installation disc to install and use your product key. You have three options,
1. Find your copy.
2. Borrow one from a friend.
3. Buy a replacement.
If you had contacted this site before you reformatted your PC, we may have been able to help you resurrect your windows installation, sorry.

Yeah, you're right about that.

I found an installation disc that worked, loaded it and now everything is done. Thanks to all who helped me in all this !!!!!!

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.