I'm trying to fix a computer (Vista) that fails to boot after windows updates (BSOD, safemode and "last known good" don't work either). I have the original restore media and would like too do a repair install but it disables the option if the version on the computer is newer (because of the service pack).

I've resolved this issue before by logging into the system and uninstalling the updates, but that's not an option here: Is there a way to uninstall all updates or at least the service pack from the boot disks command prompt?

Recommended Answers

All 9 Replies

Method 2A: Offline System Restore
Use this method when you have the Windows Vista installation CD or DVD. If you do not have the installation disc, go to method 2B.
Prerequisite
To use offline System Restore, you must have a Windows Vista CD or DVD. Additionally, your computer must be configured to start from the CD or DVD drive. In some cases, you may have to modify the BIOS settings on the computer to configure the computer to start from the CD or DVD drive. For more information about how to configure the computer to start from the CD or DVD drive, see your computer documentation or contact the computer manufacturer.

First, start the computer from the CD drive. To do this, follow these steps:

1. Insert the Windows Vista CD or DVD, and then restart the computer.
2. When you receive the following message, press any key:
Press any key to boot from CD or DVD.
3. Set the following preferences, and then click Next:
* Language to install
* Time and currency format
* Keyboard or input method

Then, use offline System Restore to remove the Windows Vista service pack. To do this, follow these steps:

1. Click Repair your computer, select the operating system that you want to repair if it is necessary, and then click Next.
2. Click System Restore, and then click Next.
3. Click to select the Restore Point that matches the installation date for the service pack. The Restore Point will be labeled either Install: Windows Update or Install: Windows Vista Service Pack <version>.
4. Confirm the hard disk that you want to restore, and then click Next.
5. Click Finish, and then click Yes when you are prompted.
6. When the System Restore process is complete, click Restart to restart the computer.
7. After the computer restarts, click Close to confirm that the System Restore process has finished successfully.

If these steps successfully uninstall the Windows Vista service pack and restore your computer, you are finished. If these steps do not uninstall the Windows Vista service pack, or if these steps successfully uninstall the Windows Vista service pack but do not resolve the issue, go to the “Next Steps”

from this site
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/948537

There are no restore points on the system.

There are no restore points on the system.

thats weir as windows updates usually creates one before it installs

I thought it was strange too, but I already tried and it told me there were no restore points available.

can you get into computer via safe mode, f8 on boot up

No, Safemode doesn't work, and Last Known Good Configuration doesn't fix anything.

No, Safemode doesn't work, and Last Known Good Configuration doesn't fix anything.

what i would try now is booting to windows cd and and go to prompt and do a "chkdsk /r"

I think that's included in the "fix boot problems" process, I also ran a hard disk check from MiniPE, would chkdsk do something else I'm not thinking of?

I think that's included in the "fix boot problems" process, I also ran a hard disk check from MiniPE, would chkdsk do something else I'm not thinking of?

chkdsk will fix windows errors ,like device driver conflicts and such .the update could have cause a driver conflict of sorts .

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.