Already installed IDE 500 gb intetnal hard disk to Dell Dimension 2400: I was told reformatting would be time consuming, instead, I should run windows repair.
What should I do to keep current internal 80gb hd, which is doing fine with remaining 40% memory, while adding IDE 500gb internal HD s without refomatting or repartitioning?
All my data is in 1.5 tb external hd. I'm an accountant.
What appropriate steps could I take without erasing existing programs ? Thanks, Peter

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

Already installed IDE 500 gb intetnal hard disk to Dell Dimension 2400: I was told reformatting would be time consuming, instead, I should run windows repair.
r

hi ,your not fully explaining what it is you want to accomplish ,
if winxp is on the 80gig and working why would you need to run a repair .
if you only plan on using the 500 for data storage then you would need to format it ,if it didn't come formatted

If all you want to do is install an internal 500GB hard drive in you computer just set the new HD as slave and install it in you pc. No need for format or partitions.

slash49er | 1 Hour Ago
If all you want to do is install an internal 500GB hard drive in you computer just set the new HD as slave and install it in you pc. No need for format or partitions.

He said, "Already installed IDE 500Gb internal hard disk" and if he's going to use it which is probably why he bought and installed it, then it does need to be formatted.

@raf6244
Just follow caperjack's suggestion for usage.
No need to disturb your 80Gb XP drive.
You will also have to place the jumper block on the new drive to "Slave", just follow the HDD installation guide. If you did not get an installation guide, go to the manufacturers website and obtain it from them.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.