Start New Discussion within our Microsoft Windows Community

I downloaded a freeware prog. today called Killdisk. I then found i'd already downloaded a better version so i tried to delete the one i'd just downloaded and got this error. "Error deleting file or folder-There has been a sharing violation-The source or destination file may be in use".I turned off norton anti-virus and tried deleting it from safe mode but to no avail.Does anyone have any ideas. It is an .exe, and when i clicked on it, a small dos screen flashed up but nothing happened. Strange.

Try booting directly to the command prompt (or booting from a rescue disk) and deleting it with the "del" command.

I have downloaded some music on a usb flashdisk and after i copied the music on my comp i tried to clear the contents on the flashdisk. It keeps coming up with a message stating the files are "write protected and to use another file or disk' How do I clear them off the flashdisk

PS Can you reply to my email addy SNIP

I have used "Long Path Tool" software in this situation and it helped me easily and quickly.

If you have problems like "Error Deleting File or Folder" , one of the best tools for solving this would be Long Path Tool found at

Long Path Tool can simplify and probably end your problems in unlocking, managing and renaming files that appear to have a long filename.

If you encounter errors as :

o Path too long

o Error cannot delete file: cannot read from source file or disk

o Cannot delete file: Access is denied

o There has been a sharing violation.

o Cannot delete file or folder The file name you specified is not valid or too long. Specify a different file name.

o The source or destination file may be in use.

o The file is in use by another program or user.

o Error Deleting File or Folder

o Make sure the disk is not full or write-protected and that the file is not currently in use.

o Error Copying File or Folder.

o Cannot remove folder.

o The filename or extension is too long.

o Path too deep.

o Destination Path Too Long.

o Could not find this item.

o Filename is not valid.

o The file could not be accessed.

o The path you entered, is too long. Enter a shorter path.

o File Name could not be found. Check the spelling of the filename, and verify that the file location is correct.

Your best solution is Long Path Tool . Go to and see the trial version to convince yourself.

This question has already been answered. Start a new discussion instead.