I installed Spybot on my wife's computer running XP Home R3, ran the scan, told it to clean up, the rebooted. Now when she tries to sign on it gives
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\COMMAND.COM
The Parameter is Incorrect.
Obviously SPybot removed or changed something it shouldn't have
I attempted Last Good, same error. Anyone have any ideas how to recover?

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

Hi,
Can you access safe mode (tap F8 on boot up) and then use system restore to an earlier time or run spybot again and use the restore function.

Thanks for the response. I was able to get around the problem by going into the task manager, shutting down explorer, which removed the error message. Then in task manager "file" "New Task" I could start Spybot in Advanced mode, and as suggested have Spybot reverse the changes it made. The using "File/New Task" again I could restart explorer, and her desktop loaded. Fortunately, the system worked after that and I didn't have to face the wrath of my wife, who can become unhappy if she can't get on her computer and chat with her sister in PA and our daughter in CA.

Hi,
Good to hear that you have everything working again and you won't have to face the wrath of a woman scorned. When you get a chance have a look at UBCD, it could get you out of trouble in the future.
Thank you for letting us know and for your thanks.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.