getiin bugged by this new disease thats hit my browsers.....some pages like wiki.com and dailymail.co.uk open in a low resolution, sub-standard, low quality format....most of the others open the way they normally do....to give you a clear picture below are these apalling images.....pls help!!!!!

Here's how the daily mail and wik pages appear:

Member Avatar for ak_2005

Please check the following settings and see if it solves your problem.

Since you posted a screen-shot of Firefox,

1) Go to Tools > Options > Content.
a) Make sure all four check boxes at the top have a tick mark.
b) Click on the "Exceptions" tab next to the option "Load Images automatically". Anyway website listed there will not be able to show any images, so please verify the list (if any).

2) Under "Fonts & Colors", click on "Advanced".
make sure the following settings are selected. (these settings are taken from my browser which works perfectly)

Fonts for > Western
Proportional > Serif & Size = 16
Serif > Times New Roman
Sans-Serif > Arial
Monospace > Courier New & Size = 13
Minimum Font Size > None
Allow pages to choose their own fonts..... >> Tick Mark (very important to our problem..)

Click OK. Again click OK.
Restart the BROWSER and see if everything works as expected, else clear your cache and cookies and restart your BROWSER again.

If you still face the same problems after changing your settings as mentioned above, then please provide the following details, else please mark this thread as solved.

1) Do specific sites (like "wikipedia") always appear in the same way, as you have posted in your screenshot?

2) Do they appear normal in other browsers like IE, Opera and so on.. in the same PC?

3) What's your internet connection speed? Is it stable throughout your browsing session? Some websites may automatically display their low-fi versions intended for dial-up links, if they detect slower speeds at your end.

4) Are there any changes when you view them in a different PC using the same internet connection?

Hope this helps.

Please do get back to this forum with the status of your issue!

Please check the following settings and see if it solves your problem.

Since you posted a screen-shot of Firefox,

1) Go to Tools > Options > Content.
a) Make sure all four check boxes at the top have a tick mark.
b) Click on the "Exceptions" tab next to the option "Load Images automatically". Anyway website listed there will not be able to show any images, so please verify the list (if any).

2) Under "Fonts & Colors", click on "Advanced".
make sure the following settings are selected. (these settings are taken from my browser which works perfectly)

Fonts for > Western
Proportional > Serif & Size = 16
Serif > Times New Roman
Sans-Serif > Arial
Monospace > Courier New & Size = 13
Minimum Font Size > None
Allow pages to choose their own fonts..... >> Tick Mark (very important to our problem..)

Click OK. Again click OK.
Restart the BROWSER and see if everything works as expected, else clear your cache and cookies and restart your BROWSER again.

If you still face the same problems after changing your settings as mentioned above, then please provide the following details, else please mark this thread as solved.

1) Do specific sites (like "wikipedia") always appear in the same way, as you have posted in your screenshot?

2) Do they appear normal in other browsers like IE, Opera and so on.. in the same PC?

3) What's your internet connection speed? Is it stable throughout your browsing session? Some websites may automatically display their low-fi versions intended for dial-up links, if they detect slower speeds at your end.

4) Are there any changes when you view them in a different PC using the same internet connection?

Hope this helps.

Please do get back to this forum with the status of your issue!

I did check out the firefox settings and they're all intact....
As for my internet connection im using a 256 kbps broadband.....And they all open the same way in chrome IE and opera.....Rest of the websites like i said earlier open fine....And my friend dropped by the other day and we plugged in his laptop and they were all fine....i think it might have something to do with the cookies because i remember deleting them manually from the temp internet files folder (cuz of suspicion of a virus) and soon after it was all in shambles....even some of the youtube videos fail to open (error please try again appears on the screen) and i also discovered recently that the thumbs in dailymotion.com haven't been showin as well......
Thnx for postin back....

Clearing your Temp Internet Files doesn't have any impact on your browsers, since they are temp files after all. But, since you mentioned suspicion of virus, your HOSTS file maybe damaged.

After doing some preliminary search in google, I suggest you do the following,

All these steps are for XP, but they should be similar for VISTA as well.

1) Check your HOSTS file (Source: ask.metafilter.com):

After enabling hidden files and folders, go to
"C:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\HOSTS"
open it using Notepad.
Make sure that the only line NOT preceded by a # is as follows (I've attached a standard HOSTS file as well, for your reference)

127.0.0.1      localhost

Other entries (if any) might have been created by Virus/Malware. If this is the case please use good security software to cleanup your system.

2) If the above step doesn't solve your problem, then try changing the System Display settings (this is a highly unlikely reason for your problem, but still, give it a try):

Go to,
Control Panel > Display > Themes.
set it to your default OS theme.
then, go to Settings > Screen Resolution
try increasing the resolution.

3) If that doesn't solve it,
then do the following (Source: answers.yahoo.com):

go to Control Panel > Accessibility.
verify all the settings. Click OK.

right-click "My Computer" > Properties > Advanced >Performance Settings > Adjust for best appearance.

Hopefully this should solve your problem, if not, then please run a full system scan using the following, with the latest updates installed. (just to make sure there are no HIDDEN Malware/Virus, still lurking in your PC.)

Spybot Search & Destroy
Avira Antivir

I am eager to know the results, so don't forget to post back!

Hello! Please ignore my request to use Spybot Search and Destroy in the previous post, apparently its out of date!

Instead use this program with the latest updates, to scan your system.
Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware (MBA-M)

Hope I didn't waste your time by suggesting an older app.

Hey i just checked out the 'HOSTS' file and and there were a truckload of other entries besides the default one....Can i just delete them manually if that spells an end to my problems????? And i was already using the the latest version of spybot....the antivirus im currently using is mcafee 8.5i ( just for ur info) do u think it provides adequate protection from malware and viruses???? And i forgot to mention one thing the Hosts file also read this : "# Start of entries inserted by Spybot - Search & Destroy". that was probably one reason what stopped me from deleting the entries manually.....

And i also tried to fiddle with the display and resolution settings but to no avail....And the yahoo link you mentioned does'nt open up ( probably because of the same problem)....
thanks for help......

Hi!

First, spybot does add a lot of entries to HOSTS file, but that is for blocking attack sites, not legitimate ones, but just to be sure, see if there is an entry in HOSTS file for any site that is not displayed properly. [But please do not delete any entries unless you confirm its an unwanted one.]

Secondly, I am not aware of your version of mcafee's effectiveness as I have no usage experience with it, so, I guess you would be better off asking any one of the experts here.

finally as I pointed out in my previous post, spybot has not seen any development in effectively handling modern malware, so please use Malwarebytes Anti-Malware (MBA-M) instead of spybot.. instructions for use can be found here. Follow those instructions and post the requested log.

We cannot proceed in the right direction until we determine if your system is malware free for sure, so get back to us with the log.

Hi!

First, spybot does add a lot of entries to HOSTS file, but that is for blocking attack sites, not legitimate ones, but just to be sure, see if there is an entry in HOSTS file for any site that is not displayed properly. [But please do not delete any entries unless you confirm its an unwanted one.]

Secondly, I am not aware of your version of mcafee's effectiveness as I have no usage experience with it, so, I guess you would be better off asking any one of the experts here.

finally as I pointed out in my previous post, spybot has not seen any development in effectively handling modern malware, so please use Malwarebytes Anti-Malware (MBA-M) instead of spybot.. instructions for use can be found here. Follow those instructions and post the requested log.

We cannot proceed in the right direction until we determine if your system is malware free for sure, so get back to us with the log.

I performed a full scan using MalwareBytes and removed the infected items but the problem still persists....Here's the log :

You haven't updated your MBAM, so please update the MBAM database to the latest version, using the update option in the program itself. After successfully updating, please do another full scan of your system and post back the log here.

Once you completed your full scan using MBAM, fixed all the problems and restarted your computer, please download & install the latest version of Trend Micro HijackThis, update the program with the latest updates and then run a full system scan and post back the log here.

After successfully completing the above steps, reboot your computer and try if your browsers are displaying the web pages properly.

Also, did you check your HOSTS file, as I asked you earlier, for any legitimate entries under the Spybot generated list??

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.