hey guys,
I am on a local area network (LAN) and I have a netgear Firewall model WGT624. The problem is that when I go on some websites, it says that, "This website has been blocked by NETGEAR firewall." I am not the administrator, but i have full access to the admin computer. Please tell me how unblock the websites. PLEASE help me!, and Thanx in advance!
~VaNkeNShin123

Recommended Answers

All 14 Replies

If you are using a router, the router itself should BE the 'admin computer', because it is the component running the network!

Best you check the settings in the router/firewall interface. Perhaps you have certain features blocked, such as Java applets or active-x controls, and the website you are trying to visit relies on them for it to work.

Perhaps you have somehow got certain sites or groups of sites blocked in the router/firewall settings. I'm not familiar with the interface for your Netgear unit. you'll need to check the device's manual of course. My own NetComm unit provides a firewall settings page where java, activeX, cookies etc can be blocked altogether, and also a 'URL filter' which can block individual sites either by URL or IP, or by keyword checks. It also allows exceptions to be set for the blocked sites.

See what the interface for your own device provides in the way of controls.

Just log into the router and turn off filtering.

Simple

Bit too simple, jwshepard, because not all firewall routers have a setting specifically called "Filtering" which can be turned on and off. On my own unit, for example, the relevent settings are called "Control Web Access" and "Control Type". People infamiliar with changing settings on such equipment can easily get confused about the terms used.

According to page 5-1 of the manual for this particular unit, which I've just downloaded and checked, the relevent entry is on the 'Block Sites' page of the web interface, and it is disabled by setting "Keyword blocking" to 'Never'.

I stand corrected. Thanks for the info.

hmm okay, thankyou, that really helps, but i need to know how to get the the edit block keyword screen in the first place. By this I mean that I need to know how to get to it by using the browser, which i do not. please help.
Thanks.

goto the command prompt

Start | Run

type in cmd and hit enter

This will bring up a black command box

type

ipconfig

the line that says

Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.100.251

This is the address of the router ( 99% of the time)

Put this address in your webbrowser

http://192.168.100.251

enter your username and password

That should be it.

The default location for your particular router should be:
http://192.168.0.1

Type that into the address bar in your browser to connect to the router's configuration interface. You will be asked for a user name and password, and if you haven't changed the defaults the username will be admin and the password will be

Type that into the address bar in your browser to connect to the router's configuration interface. You will be asked for a user name and password, and if you haven't changed the defaults the username will be admin and the password will be

thanx man, that solves it

What will the password be? I am having the SAME netgear problem as the original poster. And if this does the trick, I need answers. Email me if you can.

I suspect the default user name and password will be ADMIN

It should be mentioned in the user manual, which can be downloaded from the manufacturer website if you don't have it. I don't use Netgear equipment myself, and never saved a copy of the manual when I downloaded it to provide the information above, unfortunately.

I suspect the default user name and password will be ADMIN

It should be mentioned in the user manual, which can be downloaded from the manufacturer website if you don't have it. I don't use Netgear equipment myself, and never saved a copy of the manual when I downloaded it to provide the information above, unfortunately.

thanks anyways

Hey!
I have the same problem! If I find out how to unblock it, i will tell you, if you find out please can you tell me? Thnx
-Frankee-c

How do you to the user manual???

kjkjlioiopppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppplk;jkhguyhjyuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuyuytytujghjhjhoolu9i089uggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggddddddddddddddddddddddd

commented: *plonk* -4
Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.