Hi!
I use Windows XP and I log into my computer with my user name. There is no "Guest" option. I recently changed my password and then immediately forgot it! :o So now I can't get into my computer as there is no other option. Is there any way that I can get into my computer and cancel my password or anything?

Recommended Answers

All 19 Replies

Just a thought try this. You may not have a password set for the administrator account which may still be active.

Press Ctrl Alt and Delete at the login screen so that you can manually type a user name. Put "administrator" in username and leave the password blank.

Most people forget to set an administrator password or disable it, so its a long shot but may work, depending on your security set up.

Most Windows XP machines are built on NTFS which thankfully means that it is difficult to brute force hack the sam database, so most cracking tools won't work, and your most likely to corrupt another machine just trying to find one.

Other than a miracle your looking at a rebuild :(

There is a tool out there that will crack or rest your passwords for XP you will have to search GOOGLE. or email me and I can send you the file name when i get home.

<snip>

Thanks heaps for your help, marty and l8nitesurfer, I really appreciate it.

Hello,

Just a note to advise something... this is why physical security is important on servers... because tools like the one you just referred people to are very dangerous in the wrong hands, and they are only effective if you can boot the machine with the tool and it's own OS. Physical security prevents people from doing what you are proposing.

Christian

what you do with this program is your problem i was simply giving him the tools to fix his problem. If your system is that important then you need to think about encrypting those files. There will always be people out there that want to do harm.
cya

People really need to use the XP option to create a password reset floppy when they set up a system.
Even if you change your password then forget it you can just drop in the floppy and reset it.

Hi!
I use Windows XP and I log into my computer with my user name. There is no "Guest" option. I recently changed my password and then immediately forgot it! :o So now I can't get into my computer as there is no other option. Is there any way that I can get into my computer and cancel my password or anything?

have you tried booting to safe mode [hit f8 on bootup]/go into admin and control panel /users and remove the password from your acct

safe mode still need the password.

The link to the software i provide does work Caperjack i have been using it for quite a while. I however will not give instructions on how to use it. Just make sure that you read everything very very carefully.
I don't know about you guys but when i build a system I don't put a floppy drive in. I have no use for one when i can use a bootable cd, second what good does it do you if you have a password boot disk floating around this could be a huge secrutiy issue.

The link to the software i provide does work Caperjack i have been using it for quite a while. I however will not give instructions on how to use it. Just make sure that you read everything very very carefully.
I don't know about you guys but when i build a system I don't put a floppy drive in. I have no use for one when i can use a bootable cd, second what good does it do you if you have a password boot disk floating around this could be a huge secrutiy issue.

not to be picky but i never said the link didn't work

Yeah I don't have a floppy drive either l8nitesurfer because its a "homemade" computer. I haven't had the chance to try the software yet but *fingers crossed* hopefully it'll work.

hi, i am looking for a way to find a lost password.i need something that will find a password for me. not just change it. if anyone has any info please email me at <snip>

there is a software can check the password. it may named lc04, i used it long time ago. you can use google to check it. this software is not free.
change password should be easier for winxp pro use ntpassword.

If its just a user password ,you can start computer in safe mode[hitting f8 on bootup]go to administrator and then go to users in control go to said user and change the password .

Can't Log On to Windows XP?
If that’s your only problem, then you probably have nothing to worry about. As long as you have your Windows XP CD, you can get back into your system using a simple but effective method made possible by a little known access hole in Windows XP.
This method is easy enough for newbies to follow – it doesn’t require using the Recovery Console or any complicated commands.
You can easily change or wipe out your Administrator password during a Windows XP Repair. Here’s how with a step-by-step description of the initial Repair process included for newbie’s.
1. Place your Windows XP CD in your cd-rom and start your computer (it’s assumed here that your XP CD is bootable – as it should be - and that you have your bios set to boot from CD)
2. Keep your eye on the screen messages for booting to your cd Typically, it will be “Press any key to boot from cd”
3. Once you get in, the first screen will indicate that Setup is inspecting your system and loading files.

4. When you get to the Welcome to Setup screen, press ENTER to Setup Windows now
5. The Licensing Agreement comes next - Press F8 to accept it.
6. The next screen is the Setup screen which gives you the option to do a Repair.

It should read something like “If one of the following Windows XP installations is damaged, Setup can try to repair it”
Use the up and down arrow keys to select your XP installation (if you only have one, it should already be selected) and press R to begin the Repair process.
7. Let the Repair run. Setup will now check your disks and then start copying files which can take several minutes.
8. Shortly after the Copying Files stage, you will be required to reboot. (this will happen automatically – you will see a progress bar stating “Your computer will reboot in 15 seconds”
9. During the reboot, do not make the mistake of “pressing any key” to boot from the CD again! Setup will resume automatically with the standard billboard screens and you will notice Installing Windows is highlighted.
10. Keep your eye on the lower left hand side of the screen and when you see the Installing Devices progress bar, press SHIFT + F10. This is the security hole! A command console will now open up giving you the potential for wide access to your system.
11. At the prompt, type NUSRMGR.CPL and press Enter. Voila! You have just gained graphical access to your User Accounts in the Control Panel.
12. Now simply pick the account you need to change and remove or change your password as you prefer. If you want to log on without having to enter your new password, you can type control userpasswords2 at the prompt and choose to log on without being asked for password. After you’ve made your changes close the windows, exit the command box and continue on with the Repair (have your Product key handy).
13. Once the Repair is done, you will be able to log on with your new password (or without a password if you chose not to use one or if you chose not to be asked for a password). Your programs and personalized settings should remain intact.
This was tested on Windows XP Pro with and without SP1 and SP2. This security hole allows access to more than just user accounts. You can also access the Registry and Policy Editor, for example. And its gui access with mouse control. Of course, a Product Key will be needed to continue with the Repair after making the changes, but for anyone intent on gaining access to your system, this would be no problem.
And in case you are wondering, NO, you cannot cancel install after making the changes and expect to logon with your new password.
Cancelling will just result in Setup resuming at bootup and your changes will be lost.
Ok, now that your logon problem is fixed, you should make a point to prevent it from ever happening again by creating a Password Reset Disk. This is a floppy disk you can use in the event you ever forget your log on password. It allows you to set a new password.
Here's how to create one if your computer is NOT on a domain:

• Go to the Control Panel and open up User Accounts.
  • Choose your account (under Pick An Account to Change) and under Related Tasks, click "Prevent a forgotten password".
  • This will initiate a wizard.
  • Click Next and then insert a blank formatted floppy disk into your A: drive.
  • Click Next and enter your logon password in the password box.
  • Click Next to begin the creation of your Password disk.
  • Once completed, label and save the disk to a safe place

How to Log on to your PC Using Your Password Reset Disk
Start your computer and at the logon screen, click your user name and leave the password box blank or just type in anything. This will bring up a Logon Failure box and you will then see the option to use your Password Reset disk to create a new password. Click it which will initiate the Password Reset wizard. Insert your password reset disk into your floppy drive and follow the wizard which will let you choose a new password to use for your account.

Hi,

I just joined as I was looking for a way to get back in to my friends XP Pro after we accidentally signed out and could not remember the password. I went on another computer and did a search on lost passwords. That is how I came to be here. I am very happy to say that I was able to get back in through safe mode and a system restore. I am a very grateful "Newbie."

Thanks,

missesmiss

deleted... already posted by pctec. i use the same as his way to reset password.
another is to use Hiren Boot Cd. a password remover is included on the CD

And there are free tools that do the job, too.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.