It's an Asus MB, 256 megs of RAM, 1.7 mhz processor.

This is the first time this has ever happened and I have no explanation. A hard drive died. The machine has 2 HDs - C&D, A, Zip drive and CD player. The old D drive became the C drive. In otherwords, when I took the old C drive out everything moved up one letter. I've installed Windows 2000 Pro the new drive with 2000 is now the F drive. It doesn't seem to affect anything; just seems peculiar with an F drive booting Windows. How might I re-assign drive letters without screwing things up.

Thanks, BuddyB

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

c:\WINDOWS\system32\compmgmt.msc or c:\winnt\system32\compmgmt.msc

then go to disk management

right click on the drive boxes and select "Change Drive letter or Paths"........

Don't forget to redo all you shortcuts which may be effected.

Hope this helps

I think it's a step in the right direction, but Win2M Pro won't let me change the letter of the "Boot" drive. It could be because all the programs, etc. are pathed to what is now the current "F" drive. Methinks I'd have to reformat and do it all again to make that change, and it'd have to be before I loaded any programs; thoughts? I was going to change the current "C" drive, but I got a requester said "You may lose functionality of programs" on that drive. All I have is data on that drive, but it made me nervous about even fooling with it. We can't afford to lose the data. It's absolutely critical.
Thanks,
BuddyB

How do you have your drives configured? Check the jumpers on your hard drive. Verify that you have it set to Master, and you've got it connected to the Primary IDE channel. And make sure you're installing Windows to the first partiton on the hard drive.

unplug your slave drive than reinstall your os on the new drive that should fix it. check your jumpers

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.