So this is a new spin on the missing CD-Rom/DVD-rom from My Computer issue others have had in the past.

The problem: DVD-Rom and CD-Rom have seemingly gone missing from both Device Manager and My Computer on XP.

Here's where its strange though:
1. I know they are connected just fine because the computer during POST recognizes the drives and will boot from CDs if they are in their respective drives (for instance: Windows XP Setup).

2. There is no Upper or Lower filters in the registry to delete.

3. System Restore to a date prior to when the drives disappeared does nothing to rectify the problem.

I'm at a complete loss as to what the cause or the solution is.

If anyone has any ideas please don't be shy. This is making me crazy.

-James

Recommended Answers

All 7 Replies

Hello,

Just a few ideas off the top of my head. Do they show up under Disk Manager (Control Panel, Administrative tools, Computer Management)?

Do they show up in the Computer setup (CMOS) and is the controller for them enabled?

You can try the procedure at the following link to show you hidden devices in Device Manager:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315539

and see if they have been disabled for this user profile.

Try disconnecting the cable to the secondary (slave) drive and see if the primary returns.

Ok... having tried logging into this site for the 3rd time...

The drives do not appear in any component in Windows and do not reappear when running "set devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices=1".

They do appear in CMOS/BIOS and I'm able to boot from them if an appropriate CD is in either drive.

And for sh**s and giggles I created another windows profile no to avail. I believe its safe to assume that the root of the problem lies deeper than user permissions/policies.

It would seem that this is the result of some registry corruption but its definitely something atypical.

Hey James,
Have you run the repair install of XP?

Not yet, but it seems its my only solution at this point. I just hate not solving something.

Hello,

I found a Microsoft doc that references what happened to you and they have an application and procedure to correct it.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314060
Your CD drive or DVD drive is missing or is not recognized by Windows or other programs.

The Microsoft doc you linked deals with a corruption in the registry. But, alas, this is not the problem. :(

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.