I have win XP Pro. When I wish to shutdown the computer it gives me a window that says trying to shutdown rundll32 however after it tries that I get another message saying that it cannot shutdown the file because it is not responding. Kindly let me know how I could solve this issue.

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

rundll.exe is a Windows system program which is responsible for loading/handling a number of Windows library files (.dlls). Given that, the error could actually be being caused by one of the dlls, but it's impossible to say which one.

- Had you installed/modified/upgraded/deleted any programs, device drivers or other software just prior to this happening?

- Does this happen when you're booted into Safe Mode?

- Do you notice any other strange behaviour or get any other errors? If so, knowing what thye are could help us pinpoint the culprit.

- Exit/close all unnecessary programs (including those running in the tray on your taskbar) and see if the problem persists. If not, reactivate the programs one at a time to see if you can find the one that causes the error.

Some spywares also do this. Try running Adaware or Spybot. Also disable all the startup programs using MS Config utility and see whether you still get the error message or not.

Some spywares also do this. Try running Adaware or Spybot. Also disable all the startup programs using MS Config utility and see whether you still get the error message or not.

Thanks for your suggestion. I did run Adaware and that solved the problem.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.